cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring to different hardware? Bare metal recovery?

ksup
Level 2
My company uses Backup Exec 12.x.  My question is, while we perform backups nightly to tape with Backup Exec 12.x what happens if we have a hardware failure where we need to restore the data and system state to alternative hardware?  The way I see it is we would need to be using different software and doing bare metal recoverys.  Do I have to purchase System Recovery for this or is there a addon for Backup Exec 12?
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
By alternative hardware do you mean a completely different server or just replacing a hard drive or a motherboard type of thing?

Also will you be using IDR or just a standard DR?

ksup
Level 2
I mean a totally different system, say for instance the backup tape contains the system state and data files from a dell server and the only server to restore to is an HP.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
bare metal recovery to different hardware is not something BackupExec does well.  In v11 they Introduced SRO the System Recovery option

in v12 it is a separate product Backup Exec System Recovery

DaveH_2
Level 2
We purchased Backup Exec System Recovery over three years ago when I was formulating our company's Disaster Recovery plan. Three years later having successfully performed three annual disaster recovery tests, recovering from failed server hardware, and executing a real disaster recovery to bare metal hardware and single-handedly getting 20+ servers with multiple terabytes of information up and running in less than 36 hours, I can tell you without hesitation it has worked well for us and was worth every penny we spent for it.