cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retention policy requiremnts

pigbts
Level 2

I am a fairly new backup exec administrator (well, its one of many admin tasks that I have). we currently have backup exec 11d, but i am setting up a new server that has BackupExec 2010 on it.

So recently I was informed that one of our newly developed systems has the following retention policy (tape backup/ offsite) requirements:

Daily for 7 days    --then--

Every Monday backup for 8 weeks  --then--

Month-end or 2 years.

We take a nightly backup of the system each night (to disk). I am thinking to create 2 media sets(tape). I would duplicate the dailys to a media set(tape) that is rotated every 7 days. Then another job that runs each Tuesday to duplicate the previous night(monday) off to another media set that is rotated each week. Then for the Month-end I woudl just have a one-time job to do that directly to tape.

Does anyone else have to deal with situations like this, and does my plan sound feasable? We have tons of other backups that have to be maintained as well, so simplicity is what I am trying to go for.

Thanks in advance for any advice.....

3 REPLIES 3

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

IF you want MOnday backup tape to be overwritten on Next weeks tuesday you need to set up a media set with opp = 7 days and app 0 day(if you are not appedning to the tape... Similarly if you want Monday tape to be rotated every monday you would have Opp set to 6 days and APP 0 days .

When ever you run a Overwrite Job , the job would 1st look in the Media set defined in the backup job for overwritable media , if it does not find it there then it would look in the scratch media (this depend on the setting you have under tools-- Option --Media management -- Overwrite sctrach or recyclable media 1st  )if does not find any media then it would look for a recyclable media in a different media set . So it depend which tape you have in you library and Based on the configuration you have it would decide which tape to overwrite .

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I would set up three tape media sets

Daily with an OPP of 6 days

Weekly with an OPP of 55 days

Monthly with 730 days

I'd then set up two jobs.  Daily and Weekly

Use policies to tun the Daily B2D job followed by a Duplicate to the Daily tape set, run Tues - Fri

Do the same for the Weekly B2D job tp the Weekly tape set  run on Monday

If you run all FULLs, then you can manually move the Daily tape from the last day of the month to the Monthly set

if you run Full/Incr, then you would have to create a third job, use policies to supercede the daily on the last day of the month and duplicate that to the Monthly tape media set

pigbts
Level 2

Thanks for the comments Rahul and Ken!