cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic Library Hardware Error

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
Hi,

Recently when performing backups, I randomly encountered the "Robotic Library Hardware Error." I've tried a few of the recommended revisions by BackupExec such as removing and reinstalling the drive, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott
13 REPLIES 13

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
Hi again,

I have a little more information that may be of help to anyone. The two backup tapes that I use for the Monday and Tuesday night backups prompted the Robotic Library Hardware Error. However, my Wednesday night tape was able to perform a small test backup. After this, I inventoried the tape and then was presented with the same error as the Monday and Tuesday night tapes. This infers to me that the problem is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Thanks again,
Scott

Kevin_Johnson
Level 3
I had a similar problem recently. It was a problem with the removable storage within Windows. If the removable storage detects the drive it will try and manage it rather than letting the BackupExec software control the drive.

It needs to be disabled from the computer management console -> removable storage -> Libraries, then right click on the drive (if its there) and select disable.

Not sure if yours is the same problem but its worth checking.

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

Please update us the exact device details and error that you getting .

Try backingup to Backup-to-disk and check the performance ...

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
Thanks for the reply, but there isn't any removable storage tab in the device manager.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
From Friday night's backup, I noticed that when I arrived to work on Monday morning, the backup was queued. The exact error that is being shown is:

Robotic library hardware error.

The robotic library has reported a general hardware error condition. Manual intervention, calibration, etc., may be required. This may be a device related hardware problem, or it may be some other hardware problem (i.e. SCSI card/bus etc.). The library and drive states have been set to offline. Please attend to this condition.

Although I receive this error, I know that the problem is not hardware related. My Monday through Wednesday tapes produce the Robotic library hardware error, but my Thursday night backup completed successfully. Also, my Friday night backup failed. Therefore, it must be some software issue. All of my tapes would not randomly go bad like that. There must be some time of configuration issue.

Thanks again everyone,
Scott

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
Anyone? I've been messing around with BackupExec, but still no luck.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
I also just noticed that I was prompted for a Library Insert. In which, the exact message was "Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using hte import command." Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott_Yablinsky
Level 4
I feel like i'm having a conversation with myself here :) Can anyone please help??

Thanks alot,
Scott

Swati_Joshi
Level 6
Accredited
Hi Scott,

We apologize for the delay in response.

We would like to know if you have followed the steps from following technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/252387
Title:

In the windows event viewer, in system log,do you get any errors with event ids:9,11,15?

Also try following steps :

1) Stop all the Backup Exec services from the services applet.
2) Go to Start | Run | REGEDT32.
3) Browse to HKey_Local_Machine | Software | VERITAS | ADAMM.
4) Change the value of Enable Robotic Library Tape Device Release from 0 to
5) Quit REGEDT32
6) Start the Backup Exec services and verify the results.

Thanks and regards,

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jerry_barnett
Level 2
I am having the exact same problem, I have an Exabyte Magnum robotic library with seven bays. It seems, the tape fails to load to the drive. I have follow the steps outlined but the problem still exist.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Do you have any event id 9 or11 related to the device?

If yes then it can be a SCSI card issue.
Please also see the microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q154690

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jerry_barnett
Level 2
Sharvari Deshmukh, thanks it was the cable all along.

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Thanks for the update.

We request you to update us if the problem persists to continue troubleshooting.

Thanks,Message was edited by:
Sharvari Deshmukh