cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robotic Library doesnt eject tape from tape drive

Tomas_C
Level 4
BE 10.0 on a W2000 server with a Compaq TL891 Library.

After a backupjob with a full backup to disk and then a Duplicate to tape, the tape stays in the tapedrive and is not transfered back to its slot.

Why?
What to do?
8 REPLIES 8

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
To remove a media from the library you need to make use of the Export command in Backup Exec.

The "Import/Export" commands are applicable to the feature which is called as "Mailslot" or "Media access Port" or "Portal". If the library supports these features and you need to remove one particular media to this slot and make it available for you to remove from the library , From the right pane in the Devices tab in Backup Exec,highlight the Slot. Right Click on it and select "Export" from the shortcut menu. The media will be available to you in media access port for removal.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/259939.htm

You could also configure jobs to export media to the mail slot after a job completes by making use of the Pre and Post command utility. This utility allows you to configure a job to run a command before a job starts and after the job completes.
Refer to the following technotes for more information:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/253162.htm

Tomas_C
Level 4
Please read my question again. The tape stays in the TapeDrive. It is not transfered back to the Library. It is Not Ejected or Unloaded.

Vidyaj__Patneka
Level 6
Hi,

We suggest you to perform an inventory of the robotic library and check what happens.

-Does the tape media shows up in the respective slot ?

-Are you getting any alert messages ?

-Are you facing this issue when running the duplicate jobs only ? Or does it happen for the other normal jobs on the Tape media ?

-Is the backup job showing successful status ?

We suggest you to clean the drive once and check if it occurs again.

Kindly revert back with necessary updates.

Tomas_C
Level 4
Hi,

- The tape media shows up in respective slot.

- Inventory and erase works fine.

- No alerts.

- It also happens with normal jobs on tape meda.

- The jobs that finishes, but dont unload the tape, shows succesful status.

- The drives are cleaned.

- I've run every test with "HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools", and upgraded the firmware.

- The problem is still there.

I talked to our HP support, and they wondered if BE 10 supports TL892 Minilibrary (TL981 with two drives).
I have installed Library Expansion option (it shows under Tools-Serial Numbers and Installation...), but when I look under Help-About Veritas Backup Exec - License information it says "SBS - Library Expansion Option Licensed-Yes Installed-No?

Tomas_C
Level 4
This is still not solved.
I reconnected my old NT-server to the san, and the TL892 works just fine.

So it seems that it has to be something wrong with your product...

Tomas_C
Level 4
Solved.
It seems like my Emulex lp8000 card didnt work with this, switche to an old Jaguar card and now it works fine.

Bob_Criswell
Level 2
Thanks for letting us know. Not everyone posts what the final solution was when they solve their own problem.

DHR_VAN_LEEUWEN
Level 3
I have a followup question for this post, earlier posts link to support documents how to export the tape from the library and how to schedule it, but how can you dynamically do this when the tape slot changes with each backup? Is there a variable you can use in a script, which tells the script the tape slot??