cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Robtic Library goes offline after installing patches?

dravid
Level 2
Hello,

Running BackupExec v9.1 and have recently updated with SP1 and all the associated hotfixes. (Using the Veritas update webpage there are no further updates that need to be applied).

Since then (in the last week or 2) the robotic library and tape drive have been going off-line under the devices tape in backupexec. The library is IBM 4560SLX. I am not 100% certain that the HF's have caused the problem but it seems to have happened at around the same time.

Backups seem to work for 1-2 days and then anything can trigger the drive to go off-line e.g. Attempting an Inventory or a backup. Restarting the services will bring it back on-line and it will usually work fine again for 1-2 days.

The hardware appears to be OK in that there are no errors appearing on the library.

Can you please offer some suggestion as to what could be causing this and some possible strategies in rectifiying.

Thanks,
Dravid.
2 REPLIES 2

ashwin_pawar
Level 6
Steps:
1)Uninstall the driver using tapeinst utility.(Given below)
2)Reboot the server.
3)Install the latest veritas driver from following link:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20041101) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041006) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

You can install the VERITAS driver using the "tapeinst" utility:
How to install and uninstall VERITAS Tape Device Drivers using .exe utility
http://support.veritas.com/docs/243636

Note:Make sure Removable storage services is stopped. SCSI ID o,1 and 6 should be avoided as they are reserved IDs.

dravid
Level 2
Thanks Ashwin,

I will try this. The server is not able to be rebooted easily so checked the removable storage service and this was running. I have now disabled this service and brought the library back online. If this fails again I will go with the update to the drivers. Will let you know.