cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Run a Policy from command Line

NJF
Level 3

Is it possible to run a policy from the command line in symantec backup exec 2010?

At the moment I am running  backup job from command using below

"C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\bemcmd.exe" -o1 -j"BackupJobName" -w and it works fine.

The problem is that I want to export the tape after it is completed.

There is an export command but you have to specify the drive and this will change each time the job runs.

I have setup a policy template where it runs the backup and then exports.

Problem is in the "symantec Backup exec 2010 command line applet manual" I can't find the command to run a policy

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot run a policy because it is not complete, i.e. it does not have a selection list.  Your policy should have 2 templates, one for backup and another for export which is linked to the backup template.  You need to generate the jobs from the policy and then use the BEMCMD command that you have been using to start the generated backup job.  Once it is finished, the export job would kick off automatically.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Engineer_007
Level 3

Hello!

Please check this link which has a list of Backup exec commands for Backup exec 12.

http://ictfreak.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/bemcmd1.pdf

which also works on Backup exec 2010

See if this helps...

Please don't forget to mark it as a solution if this helps!

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You cannot run a policy because it is not complete, i.e. it does not have a selection list.  Your policy should have 2 templates, one for backup and another for export which is linked to the backup template.  You need to generate the jobs from the policy and then use the BEMCMD command that you have been using to start the generated backup job.  Once it is finished, the export job would kick off automatically.

NJF
Level 3

PKH

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about it the wrong way and see now how I have to associate a job with a policy.

I ran the policy and it creates two jobs. one backup and one export

I then run both these commands seperately using BEMCMD

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should link the export job to the backup job.  This way, the export job will start automatically after the backup job completes.  You don't have to start the export job with BEMCMD.

NJF
Level 3

PKH

I thought I had them linked but the export does not kick off automaticaly  when running from bemcmd so thats why I run them seperately

In the policy under rules I have

"After BackupTemplate1 completes, start ExportMediaTemplate1 to export media"

It works fine when run from symnatec gui.