cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Symantec Backup in combination with MSL2024 and Fiber

Yves_BE
Not applicable

Hello,

We are currently using Symantec BE 12 in combination with an HP MSL6026 connected via SCSI on a server (containing the BE media server).  The backup of our servers are done over the LAN.

Currently we are looking to replace this solution.  These are the parts that we would use:

- Latest version of Backup Exec
- New hardware for media server (with FC modules)
- New tape library > MSL2024 with one LTO 5 3280 (HP ref BL531A)
- New HP SAN swich 8 ports (HP ref AM867A)

First we want to use the new solution in a situation that the fiber network is only used to connect the library to the media server and continue to backup other servers via the LAN.

Questions I have:
- Is BE going to see the tape library if connected via FO to the server / connected via FO over the SAN switch.
- Do I need any thing else to have this solution work?  Special options of BE, ...

Later we eventuele would like to connect some of our servers (that are backupped via the LAN) onto this SAN switch and have them backupped via the FO network.

Questions I have:
- Is this possible and what do I need
- How does BE find these servers over the FO network

In general what would be the best to do?  Is there some-where some information on this?

Note: all our servers are Windows 2003 or 2008

All advies is welcome.

Many thanks and take care

Yves (Belgium)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I presume that you would be upgrading to BE 2010 R2, so a MSL 2024 with a FC interface is supported.  You would not require any special licencing.

When you connect the other servers to this library and what to backup over the SAN network, then each of these servers need to have a FULL BE licence and a SSO licence.  The full BE licence means that they would become media servers and will be able to backup their own data.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

I presume that you would be upgrading to BE 2010 R2, so a MSL 2024 with a FC interface is supported.  You would not require any special licencing.

When you connect the other servers to this library and what to backup over the SAN network, then each of these servers need to have a FULL BE licence and a SSO licence.  The full BE licence means that they would become media servers and will be able to backup their own data.