cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running 2 duplicate jobs at the same time from the dedup store.

AlexV
Level 3

Quick question about running 2 duplicate jobs at the same time.

All of the backup jobs that I'm monitoring are configured as follow.

First part : Take full backup of the server, send it to the main dedup store

Second part, duplicate : Once it's finished, start 2 duplication of that job at the same time ; 1 for another dedup store offsite and the other one for the tape unit.

I've noticed that when these 2 duplication jobs are running, at the same time, they will often pause for a long period of time, waiting for something (god knows what) and then after many hours, start back again. This slow down our system a lot when we backup some of our files server with a couple of TB for the jobs.

Is this a good practice? Personnally I would configure these jobs to run one after the other, never at the same time. We recently upgraded the system from BE 14 to version 16 and my colleague (that previously took care of the backup system) say that he never noticed this with version 14 before (let me have my doubt about that here).

Anyone with experience with that kind of setup?

Thx!

2 REPLIES 2

kf2013
   VIP   

I had another issue when running two duplicate jobs at the same time and I had logged a support call to Symantec. They didn't suggest to run two duplicate jobs at the same time, so I have rescheduled two duplicate jobs to run on separate time.

That's interresting...

Instead of linking the 2 duplicate jobs to start once the first one is finished, I schedule a specific time for each of them and got to make sure they don't interfere..

I'l check that. Thx.