cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running backups over seperate VLAN

Jim_Pliss
Level 3
I wold like some info to help accomplish this. I have a redundant network of switches for my data center. We are creating switch failover. We have 2 dual port nicks. 2 ports will be used for the standard traffic. I want to use a 3rd port on a Vlan strictly for backup traffic. The problem is my vlan for the backup traffic is a private network 192.XXX.XXX.XXX. By backup server can not see the remote server. My question is how does Veritas 10.0 find a computer to backup on the network. As I see it requires some sort ot netbios or DNS resolution. Can someone verify this for me or can veritas find the remote servers based on strictly the remote agent? Thank You for the help.
7 REPLIES 7

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please note that it is necessary to install the remote agent to backup the remote server.

If you want to backup the server within two different domains then it is required to establish the trust relationship.

Also verify the network connectivity between teh Backup Exec machine and the remote server.
If they cannot ping each other then enter the name and the Ip address of the Backup Exec server in teh host file on the remote server and vice versa.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Jim_Pliss
Level 3
So what you are saying is that the TCP/IP side of this requires some sort of resolution before the Veritas can connect to the machine to backup. Yes I can ping by IP and yes the remote Agent is installed and running on the remote system to be backed up.

Thank You

Jim_Pliss
Level 3
I am bringing this back to the top as I do not see any answer to my question here. Can someone please clarify the answer to my question?

Jim_Pliss
Level 3
I am bringing this back to the top as I have not received an answer to this yet.

Jim_Pliss
Level 3
Bringing back to the top so I can get an answer. Is there some documentation on performing backups over the VLAN?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
On the media server, from a CMD prompt, can you ping the remote servers on the 192.168.x.y network? or are they across a router?

If can ping them, you should be able to specify the private network in the job description and BackupExec should only use that network for backups.

steve_burkett
Level 4
Can't say I've done it, but as Ken pointed out, you should be able to assign the Remote Agents as User-Defined Selections in your backup jobs.

So while editing your backup job, go to Source>Selections, then right mouse on User-defined Selections and choose User-defined Selections.... Now add a UNC Name of something like \\192.168.1.24 or whatever your Remote Agent running server is assigned to and click Add. It'll talk to the server at that address and try and communicate with the Remote Agent. If all goes well (and you're routing is working correctly) then you should be able to expand the selection list out and see your server there ready for file selection.

Also check the Network and Firewall properties on the job, as it allows you to pick which Network Interface you want to be using for backups. Pick the one for your VLAN. There is some info in the Backup Exec 10 help under the heading 'Changing the Backup Network for a Job '