cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Backup Network Setup

Craig_Sauvigne
Level 3
I am trying to find documentation to help build a private backup network. My servers run Windows Server 2003 or Windows 2000 Server and each one has two NICs. One is for the production network and the other will be dedicated to just running backups.

Is there a step-by-step document out there that will help me with this? I keep finding bits and pieces but not an all-in-one document.

Thank you.

Craig
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/254123.htm

Craig_Sauvigne
Level 3
Thanks. I have seen that article. But what about setting the IPs on the secondary NICs? I was hoping for a guide that starts at the very beginning before setting Veritas settings.

Craig

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
You have to do that through the regular Windows NIC setup, not through BackupExec

Craig_Sauvigne
Level 3
Yeah. i understand that. I know how to set the IPs. I was looking for a guide whether it was from Veritas or not. I can set teh IPs but what are the established guidelines or best practices, that kind of thing.

Thanks for your assistance. I will look elsewhere.

Craig

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Never seen anything specifically addressing that.

I'd say, as long as you don't need to traverse a router, that as long as the subnet is not-routable (eg: 192.168.0.0/16), there's not much else to do.