cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running multiple backup tasks at once?

Pallentx
Level 2
Hello;

I have an Oveland Neo 60 tape changer with 4 tape drives.  I would like to use Backup Exec 12.5 (eval version) to run two or more backup tasks at the same time using dieffernt tape drives.  Is this possible?  I have not found anything in the documentation that explains this process.

Is there a way to assign/use two tape drives for a single backup?  I have a 6tb array to backup and one tape is just too slow.

thank you in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Another question if I may, How can I speed up the backup process for a 4+ terabyte array?  Since I can only write to one drive at a time, how can I maximize the performance?

You can create multiple jobs, each backing up part of the array.  Depending on the exact topology, too many jobs may actually slow down overall throughput because of data channel saturation

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I would like to use Backup Exec 12.5 (eval version) to run two or more backup tasks at the same time using dieffernt tape drives.  Is this possible? Yes, this is possible.  You can either specify the specific drives you want to run the jobs to or you can set the jobs to the Library and it will select a drive that is available on it's own.

Is there a way to assign/use two tape drives for a single backup? - There is no way to run 1 backup to 2 tape drives at the same time.  Though you can specify a pool of devices to run the job to, it will still only write to one drive at a time.

Pallentx
Level 2
Thank you for the quick response.

So, I set the backup task to utilize the OVERLAND 1 drive (see below), and if the tasks run at the same/overlapping time, the software will select an available drive and run the backup.  Did I get that right?

imagebrowser image

Another question if I may, How can I speed up the backup process for a 4+ terabyte array?  Since I can only write to one drive at a time, how can I maximize the performance?

Thank you again.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You can create multiple jobs, each backing up part of the array.  Depending on the exact topology, too many jobs may actually slow down overall throughput because of data channel saturation

teiva-boy
Level 6
 Rule of thumb I use...  no more than 2 LTO3/4 drives per U320 controller per PCI-X slot.

Also dont use RAID cards as library/tape controllers.  SCSI cards only.

PCIe is preferred... ;)