cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SBS 2003 Backup Exec 10 SP3 Remote Agent

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
I have the SBS 2003 Backup Exec 10 SP3 software running on my SBS server. I installed the Remote Agent onto my Terminal Services Server using the push technology.

Does the Terminal Server automatically go into Install mode when software is pushed to it in this way?

I did not immediately install the CAL license into Backup Exec, though I did today just for fun, legality and to prevent future problems.

The backup worked fine without the CAL being entered for several days.

Is there no license checking enforced for Remote Agents?

Or did the SBS include a CAL for a remote server that I am unaware of, meaning, did I buy a CAL for the remote server that I didn't need cause it was included in the base package I purchase (through Dell, if that matters)?

Thanks,

Anthony
9 REPLIES 9

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Please refer to the following document:

What are the differences between various editions of Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/253755

Does the Terminal Server automatically go into Install mode when software is pushed to it in this way?

-No, it doesnt.

Please refer to :

How to put the Terminal Server operating system into Install Mode at an MS-DOS prompt in order to accomplish a silent install of the VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) Remote Agent

http://support.veritas.com/docs/242598

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
OK, I did not put my Windows 2003 terminal server into Application mode when I installed the remote agent (I did a push install). Will this cause any problems? It appears to be working OK.

The document you mentioned http://support.veritas.com/docs/253755 did not address my question about license checking enforcement, so I'll ask again:

Is there no license checking enforced for Remote Agents?

Or did the SBS include a CAL for a remote server that I am unaware of, meaning, did I buy a CAL for the remote server that I didn't need cause it was included in the base package I purchase (through Dell, if that matters)?

One more question:

Will one purchase of AOFO cover both the primary server and the remote server? Or do I have to buy an AOFO license for the primary SBS server and another one for the Remote Agent running on the terminal server?

Thanks,

Anthony

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
One more question as I started looking at pricing on the AOFO.

If I purchase an AOFO that says it is for Veritas SBS 10d, will it work with my installed Veritas 10 SP 3?

Thanks,

Anthony

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

The Small Business Server Edition includes an Exchange Agent, SQL Agent, and Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) Option.

Exchange Agent license and SQL Agent include the remote agent license, which enables remote exchane or sql backup. If you have both the databases on local machine, you have 2 additional remote agent licenses.

AOFO license is required for each server to be protected with AOFO. It is on per Server basis!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
Thank you for answering part of my questions.

Now, please re-read my posts and answer all of my questions. This should be basic information for someone experienced with the Backup Exec product.

You did not answer my question about if the push install to my terminal server will end up causing problems.

While you gave me some information that indicated I have two remote agent licenses due to SQL agent and Exchange agent, you did not directly answer my question about if Remote Agent license checking is enforced my Backup Exec.

Thank you for answering my question about AOFO, If I need AOFO for both my SBS Server and my Terminal Server, it looks like I need to purchase 2 licenses.

You did not, however, answer my question in regards to:

If I purchase an AOFO that says it is for Veritas SBS 10d, will it work with my installed Veritas 10 SP 3?

Thanks for your attention,

Anthony

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
Hello? Is there anybody out there?

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

if the push install to my terminal server will end up causing problems?

-- If the remote agent installation is successful then there will be no problem.

if Remote Agent license checking is enforced my Backup Exec?
-- Please elaborate this query.

-- To chcek it's compatibility please contact our sales department.

For any purchase, upgrade or licensing issues, you can contact our Sales team as mentioned below:

http://www.symantec.com/corporate/corpdir.html

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Anthony_Hatfiel
Level 3
The page you mentioned above does not give you the correct phone number for Veritas Sales Support, it is the general Symantec phone number. Once I called that number, they gave me another phone number, 1-800-327-2232.

My question about the Remote Agent licensing, in regards to if it is enforced, means, does the main install of Backup Exec Version 10 enforce Remote Agent licensing through program code, or is it on the honor system? Just curious for future installations, as I could run into a situtation where I need to protect a remote server right away, but have not received my license in the mail yet.

I've now learned that I bought a Remote Agent license that I didn't need, as I am only using the Remote Agent on one server, and my version of SBS Backup Exec Version 10 includes two Remote Agent licenses, one for the SQL Agent and one for the Exchange Agent. Wish this had been documented a bit more clearly on the product description when I ordered it, but at least now I know. Am I allowed to transfer this license to another customer if I needed to for some reason?

Thanks,

Anthony

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Hello Anthony,
It is upto you if you want to transfer the licenses to other customers! But we recommend you to get in touch with the sales in future for any license related issues.

Regards,
Ashutosh