cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SLOW Operation on Dell Edge Server with Adaptec 39160 Ultra160 controller

ben_kern
Level 2
I recently upgraded server from 9.1 to 10.d because of high device IO errors during backup.

Backups worked as expected on Dell Server running WIndows 2000 for 2 backups and then back to IO errors.

I dropped Veritas drivers and installed Windows 2000 drivers.

Again backup worked fine for one backup.

System has Adaptec 39160 controler with new HP 36/72 DAT drive.

System used to work fine backing up at 300MB / min.

After 5 days of no backups I installed 500GB Lacie USB2 hard drive rated at 30MB/sec sustained write capability.

I created serveral Backup-to-Disk folders and reconfigured jobs to backup to disk.

The jobs start at 950MB / minute and slowly moves down to about 40MB / minute where is stays for about 20 hours. Backup finishes OK.

A 20 hour backup is not a working solution.

HELP !!!!

Is it the controller?
Is it the Veritas?
Is it just me :(
5 REPLIES 5

Guest_User
Level 4
>I created serveral Backup-to-Disk folders
>and reconfigured jobs to backup to disk.

Are the B2D folders on the Lacie USB2 500GB?

>The jobs start at 950MB / minute and slowly
>moves down to about 40MB / minute where
>is stays for about 20 hours. Backup finishes OK.

If you're backing up to the Lacie, does the Dell server have USB2 or USB1.1 ports?

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please try creating backups on backup to disk folders instead of removable backup to disk and then verify the result.

Also please see the folloxing technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/231488

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

ben_kern
Level 2
I can't believe that my 2 year old Dell Edge Server only has USB 1 ports. I can't confirm that they are USB2 ports though. The Lacie drive did not squak about USB2 port when I attached it to the port.

I will have to check with the Dell people to see what the ports realy are.

ben_kern
Level 2
Yes, I did use the backup to disk folders.

I read through the veritas docs and that will take a while to eliminate all of those possible causes as the culprit.

Rucha_Abhyankar
Level 6
Hi Ben,

Is the device attached to a RAID controller? If so then move it to its own SCSI Controller.

Refer to this document:

Why is it recommended that tape devices should not be connected to RAID controllers?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/191488

Is the RSM service running? If yes then disable the service.

Hope it helps!

==================

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.