cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMTP alerts not going out

Diego_Alonso
Level 3
Neither the test email or the alerts configured on the jobs are going out. There are no error messages anywhere that I can find. How can I debug/troubleshoot SMTP messages?

Thanks,
Diego
7 REPLIES 7

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Search the forum for 'email alerts' This problem can have multiple sources, virus software which prevents the sending of email, (like McAfee8.0 does, its defaul behaviour is to block port 25), incorrectly configured SMTP server etc..

You can test it to try to telnet to port 25 of your SMTP server from your backup server and see if you can get a connection.

Regards
A van der Boom

Nishant_desai
Level 4
Hi Diego,
As suggested by A van der Boom you can go ahead and try telnetting to port 25 and see if its blocked.
If its not blocked then use the SMTP server's ip address instead of the server name to see if its a DNS issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’
and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Diego_Alonso
Level 3
I can telnet to port 25 of the email server using the IP or hostname. Is there a way to turn on more logging or debugging info?

Diego

Joshua_Small
Level 6
Partner
What sort of mail server is it?

If it's exchange, you may have all SMTP relaying off by default, if you've relied on Outlook's exchange protocol this whole time.

Try turning some debugging on on your mail server.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
You can try to send an email via telnet to see of you really can send an email, if this does not work you will have to configure the SMTP part of your email server. ( if the recipient email address is not on your email server you probeally will have to configure relay so it will accept email from your BE system, be sure not to open relay for everyone !!! )

Start telnet and enter the following commands.
helo
mail from: ( with the < and > )
rcpt to: ( with the < and > )
data
test email

and see what happens. If the recipient address is on youre email server to will get a message that the email is in the SMTP queue

Regards
A van der Boom

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Please see the technotes below to resolve the issue:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/264683
http://support.veritas.com/docs/250522

We request you to update us

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Diego_Alonso
Level 3
Telnet and relay tests all show OK so that doesn't seem to be the problem. Reading thru the articles that you recomended I found that I have smtp300.dll instead of smtp101.dll. I have upgraded from 9.0 to 9.1 and installed SP1 and still no smtp101.dll. Can you email me the file?

Thanks,
Diego
diego@ats-corp.com