cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL 2005 will NOT backup

CameronJReed
Level 3
Using Backup Exec 11d rev7170 to backup SQL 2005 and some files.
When the backup completes and I catalog the tape the files backed up successfully, but the SQL databases did not.  There are no alerts or messages that the backup failed or is incomplete.  It says it was 100% successful.

I have added the domain administrator to SQL (per Symantec tech support) and the problem still persists.

PLEASE help!
6 REPLIES 6

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
I assume that you have installed the SQL license otherwise the database could not be selected.

I assume that you have installed the Remote Agent on the SQL Server.

Have you run the Surface Area configuration tool on the SQL server.  With the tool you can verify if remote connections are allowed to the SQL instance.

Is the SQL running on a cluster?

CameronJReed
Level 3
The SQL license is in place.
Backup Exec is running on the same machine that SQL is runnuning on (no need for remote agent)
Not a cluster.

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
Have you run the Surface Area configuration tool on the SQL server.  With the tool you can verify if remote connections are allowed to the SQL instance?

CameronJReed
Level 3
No I have not.  How do I do that?  Is is in Backup Exec or SQL?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

when you look at your server in the backup Selection pane, do you see the SQL Server as a resource?  If you click on that, do you see the databases?

The database files themselves will be skipped by a feature called Active File Exclusion.  If you ever want to shut down SQL and do a flat file backup, see  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm     to turn it off

Michael_Ellis_2
Level 5
On the SQL server.  It is one of the configuration tools.  SQL 2005 is much more secure than SQL 2000.

Start\Programs\SQL Server 2005\Configuration Tools\Surface Area Configuration