cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL BKUPEXEC data files skipped after upgrade

toma
Level 4

I upgraded from BE12.5 to BE 2010R2 and now I get errors on every backup for 3 different servers.  Do I need 
to manually exclude all these files?  

Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\master.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\mastlog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\model.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\modellog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\msdbdata.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\msdblog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\tempdb.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\templog.ldf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\bedb_dat.mdf - skipped.
Unable to open the item C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\Data\bedb_log.ldf - skipped.

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Has anyone edited the registry to stop the effects of Active File Exclusion as these should be auto skipped in the background and not reported in the job logs.

toma
Level 4

Noone has changed any registry settings.  Three servers (windows 2003 std) all had BE 12.5 running fine without these error messages.  All three were upgraded to BE 2010r2 and all three are reporting those files as being skipped.

Akhil_Sirasao
Level 2

By default Backup exec skips .MDF and .LDF files . If you have SQL agent select the database through the SQL agent and Unchecked the SQL path from the Backup exec selection list.

Path which needs to Unchecked  - C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$BKUPEXEC\Data\master.mdf.

toma
Level 4

The 12.5 version didn't skip these, or maybe it skipped them without warning?  I can't see buying the SQL agent just to backup of the SQL database installed by Backup Exec itself to keep track of tapes and files backed up on the tapes.

Akhil_Sirasao
Level 2

There is no need to backup the Backup exec database as backup exec takes backup of its own database every day . It would be better to uncheck the path or ignore the exceptions.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

The 12.5 version didn't skip these, or maybe it skipped them without warning? 

I think that somehow AFE got tuned off during the upgrade, as database file extentions will be skipped without notification in the job log if AFE is turned on

See  http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/259152.htm

toma
Level 4

I checked the registry and that key (to disable the exclude active files option) does not exist.  I created a new test backup with a new file selection list, but it shows those database files as checked.  I don't know if that feature (skipping those files) works by not including them in the selection list or something else. 

I will manually uncheck those files for now.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I don't know if that feature (skipping those files) works by not including them in the selection list or something else. 

even if the files are specifically selected, AFE wil bypass them (with no notice in the job log) at backup time, if it is enabled for that file type

and as mentioned already, BackupExec does a database backup every day at 0400 (by default, this is changeable) to the file BEDB.BAK