cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Backup Job for truncate sql logs

Lykantroph
Level 4

Hi there,

I have a question, my backupjob should truncate teh sql log from the database. Should i use the sql option "log" or diffrent. I think right is the log option but i am not sure.

thank you

6 REPLIES 6

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should use Log method to have the logs truncated. Only the data contained in transaction logs will be backedup and logs will be truncated once done.

Lykantroph
Level 4

ok, so i have all two hours a sql backup job with the option diffrent, in the evening i have a seperate job with full and after this job is complete i have a backup job with log ?. T

hank you

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think it is opposite...

See the note present in the screenshot!

Lykantroph
Level 4
Ok, what i have read is the first incremental job must have the log option the second to truncate the log have the diffrent option.

lmosla
Level 6

Hi,  take a look at this document that explains the methods for backing up SQL databases.  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73852#v53937423

do

1. Full    2. Daily Differential   3.after the Differential do a Incremental Log Backup

pkh
   VIP    Certified

SQL transaction logs are used to do point-in-time restores.  Normally, once you have done either a full or incremental backup, the transaction logs are of not much use.  There is no fixed interval whereby you need to truncate the logs, but you must truncate the logs.  Otherwise they will grow until your disk is full.

A database backup will not truncate the logs.  You must run a log backup job with the truncate log option to truncate the logs.

For me, I schedule a log backup after my full backup so that the logs are truncate after each full backup.  I don't do incremental database backups, but if I do, I would also schedule a log backup after each incremental backup.