cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Backup with Backup exec

Dinakar
Level 3
Hi

We have Veritas Backup 10 Ver .(Windows 2003 EE in all the servers).

I have some of the Questions can any body help me in this regard:

1.) Can we take a SQL Database backup with backup exec and restore it. We dont have license for sql agent.
2.) If it works, Can we take a SQL Database backup to external disk connected to Backup server and restore the backup if old database gets corrupted.

3.)  Can anybody help me in getting sql BACKUP DOCUMENTATION.

Thanks
Dinakar

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If yo do not have the SQL agent, then you cannot use BackupExec to backup a runnig SQL server.

Also, if the SQL server is not the media server, you will need a copy of the Remote Agent (included with the SQL serial)  jus tto connect to the server

You will either need to shut down SQL (normally not an option) or use SQL scheduler to do a database dump to disk, and then grab those files with a BackupExec flat file backup

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 08-28-200701:02 PM

Dinakar
Level 3
Hi All,

Can any one from Symantec just the below Answer. It would be great for us if the solution is correct.
We would get SQL license for our use.

Thanks
Dinakar

Allen_K
Level 6
 Hi,

Sorry no one has been able to help you with your technical issue so far. Please note that this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum and not technical support.

Usually customers come to the rescue. Other times, when they are available, a Symantec employee will volunteer his/her time to find and help solve issues just like any other member of the community.

However, in this case, it looks like you might be better off contacting Symantec Support Services for 24/7 access to technical support professionals. You can also try using our Knowledge Base Search.

Hope that helps!