cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL DB backup from remote location - Large DB's

symantec_supp1
Not applicable

I have two databases (one 90GB and another 80GB) that I would like to begin backing up to a new remote location where I have a powervault tape and Symantec Backup Exec 2010. I have the SQL agent and can see all the databases under selections. The problem is that I only have a 3MB line between the remote databases and where the powervault and software is located. I tried one night to do one database just to see how long it would take and also monitor the bandwidth to see how it managed the backup. Sadly, bandwidth was maxed and backing up when very slow for that large of a database. I had to cancel the backup.

My question is: How can I get these two databases backed up initially and onto tape, then do incremential backups only after? Changes on a daily basis are less than 1GB every day and is managable to do a backup of this size every night. I have physical access to the two servers if needed.

Can someone tell me if this is possible and the best method to do so?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

You can try the dedupe option which *should* work per Symantec's claim of capabilitites.  However, often Marketing and real-world are often conflicting...

3Mb would allow you to send some 10-12GB of data per 24 hours.  Maybe less if you have high latency or dropped packets (even 1% will drop performance by 50%)

So with client-side dedupe, you'll want to take a copy of your database send it local, and back that up locally.  Then enable client side dedupe and go from there.  Odds are, it will not work, and you'll have to endure a single large backup once over the WAN.  I've had little luck with pre-staging Db data.  a Db dump is not the same as an agent backup (which is why I think I failed)..