cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Database files are being skipped from backup

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

I have Installed Backup Exec 10d with SQL agent to perform the backup of remote SQL 2000 Database server which is actually the database of SAP and the sql database is on cluster. I have installed Backup Exec 10d and SQL agent on the media server and also install remote agent on the above mentioned sql databse. But when I am performing full backup of that SQL server, following files are being skipped.

1> \\JSTSAPPRD1\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat

2> \\JSTSAPPRD1\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat

3> \\SAPDBVIRTUAL\G:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ Data\master.mdf, mastlog.ldf, model.mdf, model.ldf, northwind.mdf, northwind.ldf etc.

The error is coming in the job log, all these above mentioned files are in use and unable to open-----and skipped.

Please note that JSTSAPPRD1 is the name of the remote SQL 2000 Database server from which these files are being skipped and SAPDBVIRTUAL is the cluster database which exists on JSTSAPPRD1.

Please help me to solve this problem.
16 REPLIES 16

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

Please reply with some solution. I am still facing the same problem

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
3> \\SAPDBVIRTUAL\G:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ Data\master.mdf, mastlog.ldf, model.mdf, model.ldf, northwind.mdf, northwind.ldf etc.

Even with the SQL Agent, the ldf and mdf files will be skipped. You should see a separate job step for the SQL Backup (assuming you have drilled down and selected SQL resources as will as shares on the SQL Server.

As long as the SQL step completes successfuly you are covered.

DO NOT try to use AOFO to backup active SQL (or Exchange) databases. That's not what it was designed for, and you may well wind up with garbage in your backup.

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

AOFO is in use with Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Services when it is performing the backup of "Shadow Copy Components" of the remote Sql server because it is runing on Win-2003 Ent. server. Although There is no AOFO has been installed on the Media Server.

In Backup selection list, when I am going to select Ms-Sql Database then it is showing Northwind.PRD,msdb and Pubs databases with a red sign on each database. The Master and Model Database is not showing at all.

After it is bacoming failure, I am getting this error messege in the Job Log "Final error: 0xe0009417 - Filegroup backups can only be performed on databases configured to support Log backups. Final error category: Other Errors"

What to do now?

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

If you are using SQL agent to backup the SQL server, these files (.mdf, .ldf) are automatically getting backed up. So, there is no need to backup them again. Including these directories during the file level backups will show these files in use and hence skipped. Also refer the following technotes:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/242688

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269411

http://support.veritas.com/docs/274733

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Marcel_van_Dr2
Level 2
Joydeep,

the two files qmgr0.dat and qmgr1.dat are no SQL files, they are progress files from a download. These files are very active so AOSO cannot find a quit time to snapshot them for backup. You should exclude these files from backup using the exclusion file selection.

As others already mentioned, SQL is being bakced up by the agent, you should exclude all .mdf and .ldf files from backup using the exclusion file selection.

The .mdf and .ldf files could be backed up as a file if you write a startup script that shuts SQL down (net stop sqlservr) and one that starts it up after the backup concludes (net start sqlservr). In this case you should not exclude the files from backup, naturally.

Regards,

Marcel

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for the suggession but right now I am reinstalling the SQL server again because there is some problem with the database. Whenever I am runing DBCC, it is giving failure messege. So, Let me Install the SQL server again then I'll proceed as per your suggession. Si, pls keep the issue open for 3-4 days more.

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

Thanks for the suggession but right now I am reinstalling the SQL server again because there is some problem with the database. Whenever I am runing DBCC, it is giving failure messege. So, Let me Install the SQL server again then I'll proceed as per your suggession. Si, pls keep the issue open for 3-4 days more.

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

It is not possible to shutdown the SQL database before backup. So I have installed the SQL agent on that. do you want to say, if i'll install the sql agent then, I don't have to select .mdf files.? the .mdf files are database files and I have seleted it according to the documentation "http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/242688.htm"
Which you have provided.

Let me run a full backup. Then i'll get back to you an Monday

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

As per your suggession, I had selected the SQL database from SQL installation only and unchecked all database from other shared resource but still it is became failure. Pls note there is two Sql installed and both are in cluster. But database is physically exists on 1 server (within the 2 clustered server) only.

any suggession?

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

As per your suggession, I had selected the SQL database from SQL installation only and unchecked all database from other shared resource but still it is became failure. Pls note there is two Sql installed and both are in cluster. But database is physically exists on 1 server (within the 2 clustered server) only.

any suggession?

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the latest situation of the issue?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi,

I couldn't reply you early as I was on leave but the same problem is still exists. After all suggessions which I have got from you, the problem hasn't been solved yet.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Regarding the qmgr0.dat and qmgr1.dat files are being skipped we would like to share the following information with you
1. BITS (Background Intelligence Transfer Services) creates and uses the Qmgr0.dat and Qmgr1.dat files . When BITS runs, the Qmgr0.dat and Qmgr1.dat files are always locked. Because of this locked state, the backup application cannot open and back up the files. Therefore, you will notice that the file is being used by another process.

Regarding SQL database files getting skipped, is it still skipping ?

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Joydeep__Ghosh
Level 4
Hi Ajit,

Thanks for the help. The Skipping problem of qmgr0.dat and qmgr1.dat files has been solved but SQL database files is it still skipping. Actully the problem is with the backup of quorum drive as SQL database is in cluster. Can you help me to solve this problem?

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

You had mentioned earlier in the thread that you are getting the error:

"Filegroup backups can only be performed on databases configured to support Log backups."

Refer to:http://support.veritas.com/docs/274733

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.