Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Restore Failure

Abdallah_Alsale
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Hi,
I have backed up SQL 2000 successfully. The backup selection included the following databases Altiris, Altiris_Incedents, eXpress, Laserfiche, maseter, model, msdb, Northwind, pubs and seeddb2.
when i try to restore the SQL database, I get the following error:

Restore- ALTIRIS V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database Altiris.
V-79-57344-33938 - Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use.
V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database Altiris_Incidents.
V-79-57344-33938 - Exclusive access could not be obtained because the database is in use.
V-79-57344-33938 -
An error occurred on a query to database master.
V-79-57344-33938 - RESTORE DATABASE must be used in single user mode when trying to restore the master database.

The rest of databases are restored successfully.
The Backup Exec version is 11d Rev. 7170 with the latest hotfixes.
I can restore the master database only if I check it alone with no other database and choose the Automate Master Database Restore but there is no way to restore the other failed databases (Altiris, Altiris_Incedents).
Any help would be appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

thegoolsby
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hello,

The error is occurring because there is an application or process which has a lock on the databases in question. SQL is preventing the restore from being performed as SQL cannot gain total access on the databases. You should see errors from SQL in the application log on your SQL server.

Determine what application or process is accessing the database and stop the process from running when you attempt the restore.

Collin Goolsby
Technical Support Engineer
Symantec Corporation
www.symantec.com

Abdallah_Alsale
Level 3
Partner Accredited
Thanks Collin;
I stopped the related processes and services. The restore job ran successfully.

txtech1997
Level 4
I'm working on a restore of a SQL db that is about 100gb.  I have setup the SQL redirection to the only server we have that has enough space for it.  It has been sitting at 97% completed for over 2 hours.  The server is a Windows 2003 server and Backup Exec is 10d.  I can see that the db is in the restore dierctory, but it will not end or give alerts to any kind of issue.

Any help is greatly apprciated.

Charles