Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL database backups

zak2011
Level 6

Hi,

I have two  issues with the SQL server backups, 

1) Whenever the web development team creates a new database, i receive an error for the SQL server backups

V-79-57344-867 - The last Full backup of database abcd  was not made by this application. Run a new ...

Then the only option for me is to do a full backup manually of that database or wait till the schedule for full weekly backups of the SQL databases is due.

Is there any way to configure Backup Exec to automatically configure full backups for databases that are created randomly.

2) Certain databases come up with this error

Backup- SQLSRVXX.company.local\DATABASES
V-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database abcd that is not configured to support log...
V-79-57344-33960 - A log backup was attempted on database efgh that is not configured to support log...

Is there a way to backup these databases backed up by Backup Exec without exceptions. From my understanding if i am correct,  this is happening because log backups are being done by other apps or users, due to which the transaction logs are truncated and when Backup Exec tries to do an incremental daily backup for those databases, there are exceptions.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

2) If these databases requires PIT restores, then you should change their recovery mode to Full.  You don't have to create another job for them.  The existing job will do and you don't have to do a special full backup if they were included in the last full backup.  The error messages should disappear when you do the next log backup.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) No.  You would have to just do what you are doing at the moment, i.e. manually schedule a full backup of these new databases.

2) Exclude these databases from your backups which has a log backup. Then you need to define another job which just backup these databases, but without a log backup.  These databases have simple recovery mode which means that they do not have transaction logs.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi zak,

Check pkh's solution to the same issue someone else had:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/sql-backup-issue-regarding-log-file#comment-5233981

See if there are DBs being backed up that don't need to be...

Thanks!

zak2011
Level 6

Hi pkh,

1) Noted..will  manually schedule a full backup of new databases.

2) I checked with the web team and they say that those databases with exceptions may need recovery to a point of time. If i create a seperate job which just backup these databases, but without a log backup i wouldnt be able to restore to a point in time isnt it. Since these databases are critical  is it recommended to change the recovery model for these databases from simple to Full  and then do a Full backup?

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

2) If these databases requires PIT restores, then you should change their recovery mode to Full.  You don't have to create another job for them.  The existing job will do and you don't have to do a special full backup if they were included in the last full backup.  The error messages should disappear when you do the next log backup.