cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(SQL server) job monitor shows 'x' bytes / restore shows 0 bytes

robert_rogers
Level 3
We're using Backup Exec 9.1 to backup our SQL Server.

In the job monitor, everything looks OK - logs are backed up every hr, and appropriate bytes counts are shown.

However, when I go to do a restore of the logs, I choose a resource (for logs) in the left panel and see O KB listed as the size of the log data available for backup.

I see no error messages anywhere, and full backups are behaving as expected - these I can restore, no problem.

What gives?
8 REPLIES 8

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,
Are you using SQL logging mode are you using.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

robert_rogers
Level 3
hi - I'm not sure I understand your question. But in the backup job's definition, the settings are:

SQL: "log - backup transaction logs"

general settings: "full - back up files - reset archive bit"

device and media settings: "append to media - overwrite if no appendable media is available"

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

What is the SQL 2000 recovery option that is configured?

Thanks,

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

robert_rogers
Level 3
I do not see any setting in BackupExec called "SQL recovery option" or "SQL recovery method".

However, the backup job was set up with the "backup method for files" set to: "Full - backup files - reset archive bit"

Also, the SQL "Backup method" option in my backup job setup definition is set to: log - backup transaction log

Can you please clarify your question more, if my information here does not explain what you need to know?

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello roger,

the recovery Models are set in the SQL Databse properites. Please go through the following Article and let us know:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/236600.htm

Additional Information:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/243093.htm

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

robert_rogers
Level 3
I checked my SQL settings for recovery model, and it's set to : "FULL"

Does this help you to diagnose my problem?

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you tried running the restore job and checked the results evenif its showing 0 bytes ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

robert_rogers
Level 3
Too late !

We're tired of dealing with this, and we strongly suspect that BackupExec played an important part in crashing our database server the other day.

We're switching to LiteSpeed, UltraBac, or Red Gate's SQL Backup.

Thanks for your help, though,
-robert rogers