cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Same Server - 2 backups. 1 Fast, 1 slow.

KevanD
Level 3

Hi

The backup of our main file server is split into 2 jobs.  Both starting at the same time and being backed up to the same Backup to Disk Folder. We do Full Backups every day.

Job 1. C, D and E drives with the E drive being our main departments drive. This drive is about 850Gb and contains 359,577 Folders and 2,443,366 files of various types.

Job 2. F and G drives. with the F drive being our main Users drive where there My Documents is redirected. This drive is about 900Gb and contains 95,753 folders and 824,685 files of various types. 

According to Backup exec Job 1 backs up at a rate of aprox 550mb a minute and Job 2 at 1.3Gb a minute.

What if anything can I do to speed up the Backup of Job 1? Or is this difference in backup speed purly down to the fact that Job 1 has many small files?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards.

Kevan

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Many small files of small size has to be backed up with first job. With any backup software one big file backup will be completed faster than 1000 small files backup. (Even if both are of same size). Also you have system drive included in first job.

Or is this difference in backup speed purly down to the fact that Job 1 has many small files?

Yes. 

Regards...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

I'd also suggest looking at the fragmentation level on those drives...all of them just to be sure.

Fragmented drives tend to lead to slower seek times, leading to slower backup times. If they're heavily fragmented, consider defragging them to see if this speeds things up a bit. generally, the larger the files, the faster the speed though...

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run 2 jobs at the same time, there will be contention for resources, CPU, bandwidth, etc.  Sometimes it might be better to run them consecutively.