cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan Option in BExec 12.

PMV_Tech
Level 2

I'm looking for a way to automate the "Scan" process within BackupExec. Ideally i'd be able to schedule a job, but since I doubt that's possible (Feature request?) i'm looking for the raw command that BackupExec sends to the library to initiate the scan, so I can write a script that executes the same function, and create a scheduled task to accomplish this.

Is there a way to Automate the "Scan" option.

Please do not post with "Create a recurring Inventory job" the Inventory job, while similar to the scan,

1) Creates excessive wear on the drive

2) Takes signifigantly longer to accomplish the same result as "Scan".

3) When you have a Tape Library with a barcode reader and a Barcodes, you shouldn't have to preform an inventory of the entire library, when the scan option can be manually selected.

So, if anyone can just point me in a direction that leads to an automated scan, please let me know, I know there are many of us that would really love this feature!

4 REPLIES 4

PMV_Tech
Level 2
Not sure what the rules are on bumping threads, but i'm Bumping this one.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I don't think you can do it.  If it was possible I'd expect to see it in the BEMCMD command line utility, but all that supports is Inventory

You could add this to the Enhancements area, but no guarantees was to if/when it will be incorporated

PMV_Tech
Level 2
Thanks for the reply. I too feel it's not possible, but I wanted ot exhaust all options before coming back with "it's not possible". A lot of our clients are afraid of the web interface on their MSL2024, and would rather just swap tapes and not have to worry about scanning via Web or BackupExec. So i'll continue to hope in the mean time. (Why it's not possible is beyond me, I don't expect it'd be that hard to code in whatever command the "Scan" is into an Automated Task.)

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Again, post this to the Enhancements area.

IIRC, this has come up in the past, but if no one complains, then nothing will ever change right?  Smiley Wink