cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedualed run times shift when job properties are viewed.

Gilbert_Libby
Level 3
we are evaluating 11d for use on Server 2003 SBS. We are having some challanges using job scheduals. If we set up a job to run M-F, it will do that until we go back to adjust properties, like overwrite instead of append to media. We noticed that each time we go back that the run date bounces between this month and next. Also, it advances one day in the month each time it comes back to the current month. We have found no help in the support information or guidance in using schedule feature.
12 REPLIES 12

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I have a open case with Veritas on this right now. With a existing job - I can make/submit various changes. About 25% of these changes will increment the next scheduled start by 24 hours (as it appears in the Job Monitor/Job List tab). The Job Monitor/Calendar tab looks correct. The job doesn't run until the date/time listed in the job list tab occurs.

Rebuild/age/etc doesn't fix it. The only way I've found so far is to delete the job and re-enter it from scratch. Since the incidence of the problem is so high changes are now almost impossible.

Running on 2003 Std Server x64

:(

Gilbert_Libby
Level 3
Your experiance's matches ours.

We also see the run day moving to the next month on an opening of the job properties, and then on the next opening of the properties the job comes back to the correct month but an additional day forward. We have not found a way to move the run day back to the correct day.

We are running on a newly created job, after deleting previous ones, and are monitoring closely.

At the same time, we are trying the forum to see if the answer is out there.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
every time you view and 'submit' a scheduled job, it gets re-written to the database and apparently something is getting messed up in this process. To work around the issue and fix the schedule, change the job from a "run
according to schedule" to a "run on" job and set it to some time in the future
so that it doesn't start running right away. Then change it back to a run
according to schedule and recreate the proper schedule.

Russ

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
My last fix attempt was major - I uninstalled BE 11d. When I did this I had it remove all files, even my catalog history. Afterwards I made sure the program folder was removed.

I then reinstalled and recreated all my settings from scratch. This was all done on Friday. I was able to make several changes to the job and the start time remained correct. The Friday night backup was successful. Made several changes on saturday and the start time remained correct.

Today I went into the job and submitted even though I didn't actually make any changes. The start time incremented by 24 hours and is now incorrect.
grrr :(

James_Rudley
Level 3
I thought I was going crazy until I found this thread. For a quick fix, I just change the schedule to a run today, submit, go back and redo the schedule and it takes it...Hopefully this is in their next patch.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
That is the fix support is giving until they come out with a patch. It isn't optimal but sure beats deleting the entire job.

Gilbert_Libby
Level 3
Our Current solution is to avoid changes and set the jobs to run on days of the week using only the clicking of calendar days and leaving the functions in the bottom 1/3 of the schedule window ALONE.

Glad to hear that a pacth will come someday.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I have had problems where changing a selection causes the same problem. To be sure you may want to consider checking the next run date each time a change is made to a job.

Gilbert_Libby
Level 3
This timing issue is the only thing we don't trust about BEd, but we verify everything as a matter of professional paranoia.

Thank you for pushing the issue with Symantec.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
I applied hot patch #2 and the problem is still there.

Tracey_2
Not applicable
Thanks for posting this, Russ. I thought I was going out of my mind. Your workaround worked perfectly.

Dennis_Thornton
Level 6
Tracey,
This bug was fixed in a hotfix. You should bring your system up to date.