cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scheduling IDR jobs

SMF_LLC
Level 4

Good evening, Symantec.

Is there a way to schedule the IDR wizard to create the .DR files needed for disaster recovery? Manually running this wizard once a week is becoming tiresome.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Josh Dunbar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run the IDR wizard, what it does is to create a IDR bootable ISO image with the latest .dr file.  If you are not changing the OS of the server, then the only difference is the .dr file in the image.  Actually, you only need to run the wizard once.  After that, all you need to do is to keep the latest .dr file in a safe location.  I normally have a secondary IDR path to a share on another server.  During the IDR restore process, just boot up from the IDR image and point to the latest .dr file, and you would be restoring the latest image.  See my video on the IDR restore process to see when you point to the latest .dr file.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/intelligent-disaster-recovery-idr-restore

I only update the IDR bootable image when I change my OS or when a BE hotfix says that it needs to be done as a post-requisite.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I_T_Guy
Level 4

There is no option for creating a scheduled run of the IDR Prep wizard.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you run the IDR wizard, what it does is to create a IDR bootable ISO image with the latest .dr file.  If you are not changing the OS of the server, then the only difference is the .dr file in the image.  Actually, you only need to run the wizard once.  After that, all you need to do is to keep the latest .dr file in a safe location.  I normally have a secondary IDR path to a share on another server.  During the IDR restore process, just boot up from the IDR image and point to the latest .dr file, and you would be restoring the latest image.  See my video on the IDR restore process to see when you point to the latest .dr file.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/intelligent-disaster-recovery-idr-restore

I only update the IDR bootable image when I change my OS or when a BE hotfix says that it needs to be done as a post-requisite.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Yep and just to add to PKH info - the IDR CD is capable of mounting a USB pen drive as it boots, which then means you can just copy the latest .DR file to a USB pen drive to use with the IDR process.