cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting backup items when Browsing Lotus Domino Databases Backup backupexec hangs

lutzl
Not applicable
I cannot select Lotus Domino databases, when ever i select drive E: it hangs, so i cannot backup notes databases even i am having bought and registered the domino agent
11 REPLIES 11

udayan
Level 3
Employee
Can you tell me what version of backup exec you are using?

rene52
Level 2
I get the same issue after I started using Ver12 1364 with hotfix 300699. The way I have been able to get the selection is to actually select from the unexpanded view of the Lotus Notes Databases. Although this still backs up C a D drives (C is not even used and it seems that Version 12 now sees C a s a Notes Server Database) it does not hang my selection process. I am getting issues with the Backup Exec Remote Agent crashing prior to backups on the server which I am at a loss to work out as well as if I perform the backup durring the day it fills the Domino log file and then I need to restart the server to allow users to get to their emails again.

udayan
Level 3
Employee
The Lotus notes agent shows all the volumes present in your machine. This is due to the fact that it protects .nsf databases which may be present outside your data folder.

I would prefer to browse the d: volume where you data resides and select the data folder which contains the .nsf databases.

If your browse is not showing the .nsf databases then there may be some issue.

So if the browse fails and you are not able to see .nsf databases then enable logging and try to browse again and see/attach the logs.

rene52
Level 2
You are correct that I can browse to the folder within the D drive but this does not perform a Lotus Notes backup and as such it sometimes skips some mail files as some users are working at the time the backup runs. If I do not select the individual database drive but select Lotsu Domino when selecting backup files it is fine and actually tries to do a backup. I am getting other issues when it does the backup but am looking at some solutions that are posted in other areas of this group.

David_Cook_5
Level 3
This is a symptom of a problem already listed on this board where the Notes Agent crashes. The problem is that the agent is corrupting the UCJ files in the logs directory. Please see the post with 20+ replies and you will find a workaround

MR_Bosman
Level 2

We are also having the same issue as mentioned, and have applied the latest service packs and removed and reinstalled agents.

Our Environment is as follows;

Backup Server

Windows 2000 Server (Latest Updates Applied)

Symatec BE 12 Rev 1364

MSL6030 Tape Library (Fibre Channel) 

Gig Ethernet

Domino Server 

Lotus Domino 8.01

Gig Ethernet

Is there any solution to this ?????

Greek-God
Level 3
Employee Accredited

Hi all,

To resolve this issue you need to make same changes into the registry on both backup exec and Lotus domino server.here are the registry keys which you need to change -

On Backup exec server -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec
For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Wait Before Timeout to 20000 (you need to create this key with dword value)

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino;
Enable Change Journal: change to 0 (default is 1) 
- Enable Background Drive Scanning: change to 1 (default is 0) 
- Enable Notes Database Filtering: change to 0 (default is 1) 
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Change
Journal Max Size ... 10, set to 40(megabytes).

On Lotus domino server -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec
For Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Wait Before Timeout to 20000 (you need to create this key with dword value)

HKLM\Software\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino;
Enable Change Journal: change to 0 (default is 1) 
- Enable Background Drive Scanning: change to 1 (default is 0) 
- Enable Notes Database Filtering: change to 0 (default is 1) 
- HKLM\SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec for Windows\Backup Exec\Engine\Domino\Change
Journal Max Size ... 10, set to 40(megabytes).

Restart the remote agent and the backup exec services.open the selection list and expand the databases.

rlj
Level 3
Is this still working?  I'm having this problem as well as the beremote crash.  Ron

LouisT_2
Level 3

Hello,

I did try the solution to modify the registry, because I was at this point of discouragement. And it's work just fine, no mess no nothing, it just work fine.

Thanks to having take the time to give this solutions

Louis

KEMIN_INDUSTRIE
Level 3
I am also having same issue .. any working solutions ?

Your_Schmolines
Not applicable
I had this problem in the past but was able to resolve it using the registry fix mentioned above.

We started getting the same problem recently and after reinstalling the remote agents, upgrading to latest service packs and rebooting, i cant see domino databases again. The difference is this time, i cant even see domino folder in the registry settings. Anyone else had this problem ??????