cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selection/exclusion list corruption - support response

Rick_DeBay
Level 5
I'm trying to exclude the Exchange Information Store from an incremental backup.  Symantec support told me that the exclusion list was probably "corrupted" and I should remove and add the exclusion again.
I asked for the ID of this known corruption bug so that I could track its resolution.  The answer I got back stunned me:

"This is not a bug or a defect, It happens often on various applications using SQL for a Database."
"Normally a SQL DB Admin would remove the entries causing the problem from within the DB, for Backup Exec, we do it within the GUI."
"We have seen this happen on Exchange, SQL, flat file and other types of backup. If the Database is busy when a edit is performed to a selection list, it may not register the change correctly. We term that as a selection list corruption."

My response was that either SQL Server Express has a serious bug, or Symantec's code does.
4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Can you provide me with the case number you were given when you called in for this issue? 

Rick_DeBay
Level 5
This is not a bug or a defect, It happens often on various applications using SQL for a Database.

Normally a SQL DB Admin would remove the entries causing the problem from within the DB, for Backup Exec, we do it within the GUI.

We have seen this happen on Exchange, SQL, flat file and other types of backup. If the Database is busy when a edit is performed to a selection list, it may not register the change correctly. We term that as a selection list corruption.

Would you like to discuss this over the phone?

Can you please open the job log, click on Job log at the top, click on save as, and email it to me?

Thank You,
S****** K*****
Symantec Corporation.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Thanks, I'll look over this as soon as I can.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
So I tested this with a couple of my servers and I am seeing the same thing.  I'm doing some research now to determine if this is a known issue or not.