cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sequential/Back to Back Jobs

Jody_Long
Level 3

I have 67 servers, and I want to create the first backup job, and then have each subsequent job when it finishes, start the next job. How can I do this?(I think the documentation is kind of lacking, so please don't "RTFM", because I have). There needs to be a relatively easy way to do this. An explaination in simple english would be great if someone can.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Do you want to run separate jobs for each resource for any particular reason rather than just doing them all as one large job?

Jody_Long
Level 3
Yes, I want them to each be separate jobs for cataloging purpose. I also have Unix servers to do as well. I dont want to put 30 servers in as one job.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

OK,

Not sure the individual jobs have anything to do with cataloging, but you can use policies to do this.  See the Admin Guide page 430

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 02-24-2009 02:38 PM

wayne_qcc
Level 3

Yes, I want them to each be separate jobs for cataloging purpose. I also have Unix servers to do as well. I dont want to put 30 servers in as one job.

I do this, partly because a failed backup of one server won't terminate the entire schedule.

My nightly backups start at 12:01 a.m. The second server is set to start backup at 12:02 a.m., the third at 12:03, etc. Each will start in order whenever the previous finishes. You do need to be careful about the end of the backup window time, though, so your schedule doesn't extend past it.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I do this, partly because a failed backup of one server won't terminate the entire schedule.

My nightly backups start at 12:01 a.m. The second server is set to start backup at 12:02 a.m., the third at 12:03, etc. Each will start in order whenever the previous finishes. You do need to be careful about the end of the backup window time, though, so your schedule doesn't extend past it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 

The major problem with this approach (for me) is that you get false job lengths, since the clock starts at job initiation and continues to tick until the backup job actually "starts", that is starts writing data to tape or disk