cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Bluescreens during backup

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
I have a client with a HP Proliant ML350 G4 server that either bluescreens as soon as the backup job starts or within several minutes. Some information about this server

OS - Windows 2003 Standard Server sp1 and all patches
Backupexec 10.0 5484
External tape drive - COMPAQ SDLT320
Controller - Model 64-bit 133 MHz-non intelligent-Dual-Channel Ultra-320 Host
BUS Adapter

I have flashed the bios with the latest update because there were timing issues associated with the PCI-X slots.

I have also installed the latest Veritas tape drivers

Any suggestions of where to go from here would be appreciated
13 REPLIES 13

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello Ron,
- Do you get any error, messages?
- Any events in the event log

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
The only thing the event viewer shows is an unexpected shutdown occured.

If I look at the Proliant integrated log viewer I see one of these messages.

Blue Screen Trap (BugCheck, STOP: 0x00000077 (0xC000000E, 0xC000000E, 0x00000000, 0x00A7A000)

Blue Screen Trap (BugCheck, STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x89D95568, 0x89D956CC, 0x80965A86)

Last night I used the HP Storageworks Libary and Tape tools to check to drive. I ran a read/write test on the drive with no problems. Hp Tech support said if this showed no problem to contact Backupexec support.

I got a backup job to run last night after relabeling the tape so I thought it might have something to with appending multiple backups to a tape.

Tonight I tried relabeling another tape and running the backup job but the server bluescreened after about 10 minutes.

I am doing this remotely and have to wait for the Automatic Server Recovery to reboot the server before I can check
the logs

Ashutosh_Tamhan
Level 6
Please refer http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275075.htm to troubleshoot the issue.

Regards,
Ashutosh

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
I saw this article during my research but discounted it because it refers to IBM servers and I am using the Veritas drivers. Nor have I seen any error messages mentioned in the article.

I went onsite this morning and removed the tape drive from the external housing and installed it into the server. I connected it to the onboard scsi port as I normally do with internal drives.

I then reran the HP Storageworks Library and Tape tools read/write test. Although I could only test write 904mg it ran fine and reported no errors.

I ran a backup and the server ran fine which take about an hour to run.

I plan to run about 12 to 15 backups this weekend to see if the server bluescreens

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
The server bluescreened the fourth time I started the backup job so I downloaded the Stor-Port driver update referred to in the Microsoft article.

When I tried to install the patch I received a message that it was already installed via a service pack.

Steve_O_2
Level 4
IF your running symantec AV update the symevent files

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
The server is running Symantec Corporate Antivirus 9.0.0.338 set to update daily at 11:45.

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

Please install the latest revision and verify the results.

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 rev. 5520 for Windows Servers Installation Files
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
The server started bluescreening after I ran about 8 backup jobs.

I relabeled the tape but the server bluescreened again when I ran the backup job.

I downloaded and installed the latest version this morning and the server bluescreened the first time I ran the backup job.

The backup job ran for almost 20 mins before the server shut down.

Some other items I should have included earlier

Sometime I see a byte count in the job log but other times the byte count is zero. I have watched the byte count go up during the backup but the job monitor reports a zero byte count.

The last job show almost 22gb backed up before the server shut down so the server does not shut down at the same point during the backup

This server also has the agent for SQL installed

Are there any service packs for the 5520 revision I need to install?

I am going to replace the drive with an Ultrium drive this afternoon just to make sure this is not a hardware issue.

Joe_Cloutier
Not applicable
Have you solved the Bluescreen errors yet?
I have a similar Hardware configuration and am planning the upgrade to Backup Exec vs. 10 and was curious if your problems were hardware or software related.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
I just got a backup job to complete but I've had the job complete several times and then start shuting down. As i said in my last post I am going to replace the SDLT drive with an Ultrium I have for a week or so.

I don't think this will cure the problem but I'm trying to eliminate possibilities.Message was edited by:
Ron Bliss

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Ron,

Kindly update us after attaching a new drive and observing the results.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Ron_Bliss
Level 3
This server takes about an hour to backup so I scheduled the same backup job every 11/2 hours last night.

Out of 10 backups the server bluescreened 3 times.

I'm not sure where to go from here as I have either tried different devices or eliminated hardware to try to isolate the problem.

Any suggestions from the moderators would be appreciated