cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server becomes unresponsive during backup

pyaeger
Level 2

We have a server (AMD64 with 16GB memory) that about once or twice a week will lock up during its nightly 2am backup (runs about 4 hours when successful).  We are running 11D with sp2 and hotfix 20.  The only consistent behavior is that the backup will always capture the c: drive successsfully but will then lock up either between the C and E drives or between the E and F drives.  It always seems to happen between volumes but we are basing that on byte count.  The server will then become unresponsive to anything except a ping and we need to do a hard shutdown to recover the server.  BE will then work for 2 or 3 more nights usually.  There are no other services running at the time of the backup (we already took AV out of the equation).  The database that runs during the day is stopped prior to the backup job starting.  I started researching the issue and was wondering if this could be attributed to Hotfix 2 for build 6235 (beremote memory leak, 285702).  I'd be happy to restart the BE services each day if I thought it would help.  We are also running 256bit encryption, but turning this off is NOT an option.  I'd also like to make sure this issue doesn't follow me to version 12 when I upgrade in a few weeks or if we were to move to new hardware.  If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Also, does hotfix 2 come with any of the SP's or is it independent.  I've got sp2 but I wasn't able to tell if it was included in any other SP's.  If this would potentially fix my issue, I would also like to know if this patch needs a reboot of the server.  I'm ok with cycling the services, but I can't reboot this server during business hours.

Thanks,

Pete Yaeger

0 REPLIES 0