cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servers not showing up in Selection Lists

Keith_Woodcock
Level 3
I have an issue where a bunch of the servers which were previously showing up in the selection lists are not any longer. I have backup jobs assigned to these servers which are completing successfully but when I try to edit the selection list the server isnt listed under the Remote Selections section.

I have checked the backup remote agents on all the servers and they are all running. What are some basic things to check and what is required? WINS? NetBIOS?

Thanks for any help,

Keith W.
13 REPLIES 13

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
I see this also on my W2k3 servers. When this happens close the selection wait a few minutes and try again. Most of the time this woks.

I am not sure if this is a BE problem. When BE does not see the selection Windows 2k3 is also not able to see them via Network Places. Maby it has something to do with the fact it is not a W2k3 domain but a W2k domain, don't really know.

Regards
A van der Boom

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Check whether the servers are visible in "Netwrok Neighbour hood"

Are they in the same domain..?

Check if the names and the corresponding IP Adresses can be resolved from "nslookup"..?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to the ‘answered questions’ pool.

Henrik_B__Haugs
Level 3
Hi,

I saw this some times.
Try to restart the "Computer Browser"-service.
That solved my problems

/Haug

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

- Could you please Update us on the issue

- Did the solution provided to you help you

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Thanks.

Keith_Woodcock
Level 3
Sorry for the delay in replying. We had run into a bigger issue that needed immediate attention. I will try the suggested actions and then update the situation.

Shilpa_pawar_2
Level 6
Hi,

thanks for replying! We are awaiting further update!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Keith_Woodcock
Level 3
Ok all servers are in the same domain and all can be resolved successfully from nslookup.

From the backup machine the only 2 servers that show up are the same 2 that show up in the selection lists so obviously we have a correlation here. What could be causing this?

EDIT: One thing I should mention is that although all are in the same domain not all are in the same IP Range.

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
Try using 'net view \\remote-computer' if you can see any shares. If you can the problem might be in BE itself.

Regards
A van der Boom

Amruta_Bhide
Level 6
Hello,

- What have you selected under Tools-> Options -> Network and firewall?

- How many Ports have you configured to be open on the Media and the remote Servers?

- Try editing the Host files on the Servers so that each of the remote Server has the media Server Name and IP address in their Host Files and vice-versa.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Thanks.

Keith_Woodcock
Level 3
using net view I can see shares on all the servers I want to backup.

Here is what is setup in the network options. It looks like some options may have been missed during setup?

Image hosting by Photobucket

Keith_Woodcock
Level 3
bumpity bump?

A_van_der_Boom
Level 6
I myself use the 'Enable remote agent TCP dynamic port range', you might give it a try.

Regards
A van der Boom

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hi Keith,

Could you please update us on the issue?

Thanks a lot in advance!

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.