cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service terminated unexpectedly

Not applicable
Backup Exec 9.1 on Windows 2000.

During a backup, sometimes at the beginning, sometimes near the end, the service terminates.

Event viewer says this: The Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers service terminated unexpectedly.

The backup job then terminates saying that it timed out communicating with the Remote Agent service. Yesterday, this full C:, D:, system state backup ran successfully, but today and one a few days ago, I get this message. I have no problem going into the Windows services and starting the service. Now that the service is running, Backup Exec runs the test just fine.

I have the job log and diagnostic files saved, but don't see any place to upload them here.

Thank you for your help.
1 REPLY 1

anoop_nair_2
Level 6
Hi,

This issue could occur due to some kind of corruption in the Backup Exec database. Hence suggest you to perform repair of the Backup Exec database.

Follow the steps below to repair the Backup Exec database:

1. Open BEUTILITY (C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT)

2. Add the Media server a. Right click on All Media Servers and choose "Add Media Server"

3. Right click on the media server and stop the services .

4. In C:\Program Files\VERITAS\BACKUP Exec\NT\Data copy the BEDB_DAT.MDF

5. In BEUTILITY Right click on the media server name and choose "Repair Database"
After completion of Repair Database process, ensure that all the services are started and you can perform an error free backup.