cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Services won't start...

Stephen_Reece
Level 4
OK, please read the following carefully as I have used all the solutions previously posted.

I am receiving the 57802 event in the Appliction Event Log and the Backup Exec Server and Backup Exec Job Engine services are not starting. The OS is Windows Server 2003 and the software is BE 10d build 5629.

Previously, the server I'm installing the software on was a remote agent. This was uninstalled and the media server was installed on this server. I pointed it to the existing SQL server, and am assuming it will use the existing BEDB database on that server. If this is incorrect, please let me know. The installation was successful, but the services are failing to start.

I have taken the following actions:

1) As stated in http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/275032.htm, I added the account running the services and SYSTEM account with Allow privileges in the DCOM Security tab.

2) I have attempted a repair install of BE 10d from Add/Remove Progams.

3) I have downloaded, installed and ran the MDAC checker as indicated at http://forums.veritas.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=50791&messageID=4381836. I received two mismatched items: MSXML3.dll and MSADCO.dll. I reinstalled the MDAC using the 2003 CD, and downloaded/installed the XML3 components. This did not change the version of msxml3.dll. Upon reboot, the services failed and Server 2003 requested an update for MDAC via Automatic Update service. Once installed, the MSADCO.dll becamse a mismatch again.

4) I have tested trying to start the Backup Exec Server and Backup Exec Job Engine services with LOCAL instead of the doamin admin account. The services still failed to start.

I am unable to find any other solutions online and am pretty much stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Stephen
1 REPLY 1

Steven_Thomps1
Not applicable
OK - Here's my fix for this problem.

I had all of the same symptoms as listed below and went through all of the same (possible) fixes.

I had this problem after a restore of a system from tape. I restore all of the files and system and service states.

My fix was to run the uninstall of veritas and the veritas update. When the uninstall asked to remove all of the files I selected the remove all files options. I then uninstalled SQL and then manually deleted the veritas and SQL folders for the C:\Program Files directory and rebooted. All of the service fired up.

Hope it helps

Steven

And hey you Veritas folk can you please add veritas to your online spell checker!!!