cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting my enviroment

tulop
Level 3

Hello

I will begin explaining my enviroment: I have a backup 2010 r3 over w2008 server (no scsi, no fibre), I have 2 File server over w2003 (fibre+scsi) connected to SAN, one of the server have connected a HP 1/8 ultrium 920 G2 tape autoloader (scsi). I want to use this autoloader with the backup server but is not recognized, I want to perform all backup (2 FS) with this autoloader but a I dont know how i can perform this.

Could you please help me with this issue?

Thanks in advance

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Well, no...not quite.

Attaching the SCSI autoloader to the FS server and installing BE on it would be the only way to back up your servers unless you get a SCSI card for the server you originally designated as a backup server and connected the autoloader to it.

The autoloader is SCSI-attached...the SAN will never be used for backups unless you get an FC-attached library and load the SAN SSO option on any SAN-attached servers.

So your backups will still run across the LAN. Your autoloader in this regard is what prevents SAN-based backups.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV

OK,

So your backup environment SHOULD look like this:

1. Backup Exec server has autoloader connected locally and BE is loaded with the necessary agents.

2. RAWS agent to be push-installed from within BE or installed manually on your 2 file servers.

3. Backups will run across the LAN using the network, to the BE server which transfers the data to the autoloader via a SCSI connection.

4. Create your jobs (either stand-alone or policy) and associate a selection list (where you select what you need backed up) with it.

You cannot backup to a remote autoloader on another server...it doesn't work that way. It is either attached to your current backup server, or you need to make the server with the autoloader attached to it now your backup server.

You can also download the BE 2010 Admin Guide and read up a bit more in-depth if need be:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH77887

Thanks! 

tulop
Level 3

if I understand you comment, Are you telling me that I can't to perform a backup to tape if the autoloader is connected to FS and anot to Bakup exec server?

In this way, Could I set the backup exec in a server with fibre channel and to perform the backup to tape directly from SAN? In this point could I perform the backups for all file hosted in the SAN?

Thanks in advance for you answer

Regards

CraigV

Well, no...not quite.

Attaching the SCSI autoloader to the FS server and installing BE on it would be the only way to back up your servers unless you get a SCSI card for the server you originally designated as a backup server and connected the autoloader to it.

The autoloader is SCSI-attached...the SAN will never be used for backups unless you get an FC-attached library and load the SAN SSO option on any SAN-attached servers.

So your backups will still run across the LAN. Your autoloader in this regard is what prevents SAN-based backups.

tulop
Level 3

I just say THANKS a lot