cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up IDR: Can I skip the required full backup of a data partition?

Epsil0n__
Level 3
Hello all,
I am setting up IDR in our environment: Windows SBS2003 acting as the media server--this is also the server that we want to backup with IDR.

I see in the guides that I need to perform a full backup of this server prior to creating the IDR bootable disks. The guides specify to "Run full backups of the hard drives on the computers to be protected. Include System State for Windows 2000 and Windows XP computers and Shadow Copy Components for Windows 2003 computers. Do not exclude any files from the full backups; otherwise the *.dr file will not be created."

Here's my question: My C: partition is currently has 10GB of data on it--very easy to backup with a full backup to our tape drive. However, I also have a data partition with 100+ GB of data on it. We already have backup jobs that backup these databases and data files to tape without performing a full backup of that partition. We do not have the tape space to perform a fulll backup of this data partition to a single tape.
Can I skip backing up the data partition in the full backup that is required by IDR?
Will the *.DR files be created successfully for the partition (C:) that I do the full backup on if the other partition (E:) is not backed up?

Thanks!
JonMessage was edited by:
Jon Linch
3 REPLIES 3

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Kindly refer the following Document:

General guidelines for successful use of the Backup Exec Intelligent Disaster Recovery (IDR) Option.

http://support.veritas.com/docs/284394

Thank You,

Shweta

Epsil0n__
Level 3
Thank you for the link to the setup document. However, I have read the setup documents... I even have quotes from the document you linked in my original post.

The answer to my question is not covered in this document. I am looking for an anwser from someone who has used IDR, or knows the product very well.

Thanks!
Epsil0n

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

In order for IDR to be successful the full backup has to be successful else it will not work.

Thanks