cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharepoint Services and SQL Server

James_Thibault
Level 2
Hi All,

I currently have BackupExec 10d installed on a Windows Server 2003 File Server for backups.  We are about to add a Developement SQL Server (Windows Server 2003) and a local intranet server (Windows Server 2003) running Windows Sharepoint Services and Cold Fusion.  It will also be running Filemaker Server Advanced which is a database program that will runnning continuously. 

My question is.....

To add these two additional servers to be backed up by the BackupExec 10d file server, do I just need to purchase the SQL Agent for each additional server?  Will this ensure complete backup of the two additional servers, or do I also need to purchase the Advanced Open File Agents? 

Also, I received a second copy of BackupExec 10d with the purchase of a Quantum Tape Backup Device.  Is there any advantage or cost saving to install that copy on to the new Windows Server 2003 running the SharePoint Services (besides not having to back up over the network)  ?  I'm fairly sure I still need to purchase the SQL Agent and possibly the Advanced Open File Agent...

I basically just want to be sure that the two new servers will be fully backed up in case of a complete system failure.

Thanks in Advance Very Much,

James
1 REPLY 1

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
James, if your intranet server will have its own SQL database (i.e. not using the SQL server on your development server), then you will need two SQL licenses, one for each server with SQL on.
Normally you wouldn't need AOFO, but as you are running a database which doesn't have an agent, you will probably need AOFO to backup Filemaker Server. Unless that is, Filemaker Server can dump its data to a flat file.
The easiest way to find out if AOFO will do the job for you is to try it out! BE will run with all options enabled for 60 days if you don't enter any license keys.
If you were to have two installed instances of BE, you'd need to manage twice as much, and have two backup devices. I wouldn't see a real advantage to installing the copy of BE you got with the tape drive.