cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single Drive - Cannot get incrementals to append

EZAce
Level 4

I am using Backup Exec 12 and have having trouble getting my incramentals to append to the same tape. I only have a single drive and load one LTO 4 at a time.=

My media overwrite protection is set to partial.

My Media setting for the one one media set is set to:

OPP is to indefinate - Don't allow overwrite

append is to indefinate -allow append

I only run two jobs. The weekend is a full backup that runs over the weekend. This job writes to a single LTO4 tape and leaves plenty of room. It is set to append then overwrite.

The weekday jobs run incramentaly and is set to append then overwrite.

I would ideally like to have just two tapes for the week. One for the weekend on one tape and one with all the incramentals.

The problem is, when I run the incramentals the first day goes fine. The second and consecutive days, erase the old data and only show that days backp files.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Also, the setting when these tapes were made was set to OPP 1 hour.

I would guess that along with an OPP of 1 hour, the jobs were either set to "Overwrite" or were set to "Append, Else Overwrite", but were writing to different media sets (in BackupExec you can only append to the same media set)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This situation does not make sense.  Your infinite OPP should get you into trouble once the tapes are full.  You would not be able to re-use them.  If you want to re-use them, you should set the OPP to something like 6 days.

Back to your problem.  How do you verify that you only have data from the last backup?  I suppose you try to restore the data from the previous days.  When you do so, did you set the selection data range big enough.  See my blog below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-i-cannot-see-my-backup-data

EZAce
Level 4

I do want to keep the media for an idefinate amount of time. If I want to reuse a media at a later date (after year end), I will just erase the media manually.

Lets say last week, after writing four incramental writes to one tape, append to tape with space, then overwrite (using one drive, which ejects after each write) I go to restore the data. All data is written to one tape.

When using restore, I only see the last incramental data. I have looked at your article and showing the end point still shows only the last incramental.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

I would guess that along with an OPP of 1 hour, the jobs were either set to "Overwrite" or were set to "Append, Else Overwrite", but were writing to different media sets (in BackupExec you can only append to the same media set)

EZAce
Level 4

Thanks for the help Ken,

As of now, I have only have one media set, I will retry and give back the results.

EZAce
Level 4

I made sure all taps were in the same media set and now appending seems to be working as normal.