cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skip Servers/Workstations

Tom_Moe
Level 2
Are there any options that can be set to avoid a Job aborting when a server in the Selection list is down?
11 REPLIES 11

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Do you need to cancell the job automatically you mean? or do you need to deselect the down server during the backup job? Do elaborate the situation so that we might be able to assit you.

Regards.

Tom_Moe
Level 2
What I mean is, if a selected workstation is not on line, continue on to the next workstation, rather than abort the job.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
The job should not abort, but should display "Unable to Access" in the job log, proceed to the next machine, and flag the job as FAILED

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

There is no way to cancel a job automatically because one of the servers in the selection list is not online. The job will fail.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

There is no way to cancel a job automatically because one of the servers in the selection list is not online.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the ‘answered threads’ pool.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Did you bother to read the thread?

The original poster was NOT asking how to abort a job if one machine was not avialable, but how to PREVENT the job from aborting in this situation

Tom_Moe
Level 2
Ken, You are correct. It should write to the log "unable to attach...." and move on. Yet, my problem is that the job aborts and does not continue with the additional workstations.

Why question is, "Are there any settings that I am overlooking to tell it to continue, in spite of the workstation not being online?"

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are these standard RAWS backups or DLO backups?

I haven't done much with DLO, and have never seen this with RAWS backups

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

The only workaround to this problem is run a test job ,as a test job will determine if a scheduled Backup would be successful without backing up any data.So if the server is offline an error would appear in the job log so you can schedule jobs accordingly.

Please refer to the admin guide pages 314 onwards.

(title) VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 for Windows Servers Administrator's Guide (English

http://support.veritas.com/docs/266190

Thanks.

NOTE : If we do not receive your intimation within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to the answered threads pool.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello Ken and 597205954,

Sorry for my previous reply where the statement needs rephrasing:

There are basically no settings in Backup exec to prevent the abortion of the job. The tip provided by by Tejashree might help you though, to decide whether to run the job or not in the first place depending on the availability of the server..

The job certainly fails though otherwise, as mentioned by me, if it is allowed to run when one of the servers in the selection list is down. I have verified this the error that I got was:

"The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine win2003ent. The machine could not be found on the network.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
Unable to attach to win2003ent\BKUPEXEC.
V-79-57344-33899 - The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent.
Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running."

Sheetal_Risbood
Level 6
As per our previous reply, marking the case as assumed answered and moving it to answered questions pool.