cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Skipped files on AOFO (VSS) Backup of Windows Server 2008 SP2 with Backup Exec 12.5 Rev 2213 (SP2)

pehap
Level 3
After installing Service Pack 2 on our Windows Server 2008 x86/x64 servers, Backup Exec has started to skip two files during backups:

Backup- \\server\System?State
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\s3cap.sys is not present on the snapshot.
VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\storflt.sys is not present on the snapshot.

Previous to Win2k8 SP2 these files either did not exist or were not skipped for not being present in the snapshot. We are running the latest and greatest version of Backup Exec (12.5 Rev 2213 [SP2, Hotfixes 322898, 324947, 317436, 325647), and the latest version of the agents have been pushed to the clients.

4 REPLIES 4

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello,

A product installer - possibly from a 3rd party app has registered that file as being required for a System State backup and not then removed the registration from the System State when the file was removed.

Either identify the vendor of the file and speak to them about a fix - or create a file with the same name in the same folder. Note it is unlikely that you will need the specific file for a restore (assuming your server does restart correctly currently)

As an example nVidia drivers are known to cause a similar problem
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304833.htm

jlgonya
Level 3
I am getting the error with a different file dcdbas64.sys .  The link above is not working.  Any other way I can get to that page?

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
I believe the technote he posted was removed because it was a duplicate listing.  This technote should cover the issue.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/340950.htm

jlgonya
Level 3
Thanks! 

I never installed the Dell OpenManage™ Server Administrator, but maybe it installed with one of the many driver and firmware updates I put on.  It is a Dell server.  I will see if I can install it and uninstall it.