cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Backup Troubleshooter

MitchR
Level 6
This question pops up often, and there's rarely a good answer given:  Why is this one particular backup so slow?

How about a diagnostic tool for troubleshooting slow backups? 

Random thoughts follow:
-Have the tool do a speed test with the agent.  Is it network related?
-Have the tool get more information from the agent.  Is the agent getting enough CPU time?  Is the agent getting files from disk fast enough (i.e. Defragmentation, SAN issues)
-Help parse out what parts of a backup job are taking the most time. (With work, I can get this from old job logs now) 
-Is the tape drive/library keeping up with the data coming from the agent?  Any obvious signs of SCSI errors talking to the drive?
-Is the server getting enough CPU time?  Is the server getting bogged down with too many active jobs?  (It could happen, in theory...)
-Have the tool scan the backup selection list, and report the number of files and median file size.  Report how this will impact expected speeds.
-I've heard that the agent compresses data before giving it to the server.  If so, report how much CPU is spent doing this, and how much compression we're getting.
-How much time is spend mounting/dismounting tapes?
-Look for & recommend obvious performance improvements.  Pre-scan turned on?  Server NIC set to auto-negotiate?  Agent NIC set to auto? Backing up pagefile.sys or hiberfil.sys? 

I'm envisioning a tool that doesn't nessecarily pinpoint my performance problem, but at least tell me where it's not, and roughly what part of the system it is.  Find the bottleneck, so I can focus on a fix.

1 REPLY 1

MitchR
Level 6
It's not what I was asking for, but our Symantec overlords did release a new document: