cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Backup in 11d

sawolsef
Not applicable
I have an odd problem.  We just installed a new HP Ultrium 920 LTO3 SAS Tape drive.  It is on it's own controller. We are backing up three servers, server1,server2, and server3.  Each server is Windows 2003.  Server1 and Server2 are dual CPU Xeon 3.0 GHz with 4 gig of ram.  Server3 is a 3.0 GHz Xeon with 2gig of ram.  Server3 is only used to store files, there are no applications running on server3.  The tape drive is on server3.  Each server has two nics.  The backup goes through the second nic which is a gigbabit.  There are only the three servers on this switch.  Each server has two partitions, c and e.  The Backup Exec has the latest hotfixes and the tape drive has the latest firmware.

The Problem. 

When I backup server1 and server2, the c drive runs at about 300 MB/Min.  The e drive runs at 3000 MB/Min.    When server3 backs up both c and e drives run at about 300 MB/Min.  Servers 1 and 2 are database servers. The e: drive on both servers contain either the actual data that gets backed up or an SQL backup file.  Each e: drive contains around 40-50 Gigs. 

I talked with Symantec Tech Support and they say this is normal because the average turns out to be around 1200 MB/Min, and that this is a very good speed.  I don't buy it.  Why would I get  a tenth the speed on one drive?  I have another client with a similar setup and they get same speed on all of the drives.

Also, last night I change the backup to just backup server2's e: drive and it ran at about 200 MB/MIn. 
0 REPLIES 0