cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Backups LTO5

cluke21
Level 2

Currently having slow backups rates to a HP LTO5 MSL4048 8Gb F/C attached locally to a Dl180 Qcore server, backup rates range from 2000/5469 using the same job. Job is using local disk to backup jobs from the veeam server so no small files involved.

Each time the job runs using VSS/Snapshot processing although no files are active/open on the local sever. Current server Os is Windows 2008R2 running 12.5 with all correct updates, I have also installed the trial version of 2012 but with the same issues not bale to process the rate above 5GB per min. All be it that AOFO is disabled on the job and from the option settings.My assumption is that the Snapshot processing is making the jobs slow

As an indication of issues with the environment I have also installed two other vendors (HP DPM and CA) with vendors I can push the throughput to 8GB per min.

8 REPLIES 8

teiva-boy
Level 6

Have you done any drive tuning?  That can make a pretty dramatic difference.  

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You can try tuning your tape drive.  See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

Although it is for LTO4, the principle is applicable for LTO5.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

One other thing, you mention its 2008 R2 running on 12.5

12.5 is not fully supported with 2008 R2 as media server OS...prolly can consider upgrading to 2010...

Secondly, ensure drivers are up to date & do ensure this is applied as well - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH124420  (as per HCL, this driver support is required for MSL4048 LTO5 )

cluke21
Level 2

Had already tried the tape tuning options from the forum’s, this has had no difference in the speed to tape if any think iit made it worse. I did have version 2012 installed with the latest updates applied as well, but took this off as we had other issues non related to the speed with this version.

My main concern is why it would use the snapshot processing method for files that are not in use, snapshot/Shadow copy is slowing down the throughput.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

AOFO doesn't need to be selected, but VSS will always be used during a backup.

cluke21
Level 2

I have reinstalled Backup exe to 2010R3 with the Current DDI, but speed rate is still only 4.5 GB per min. Can confirm that its using the VSS. However was under the impression that VSS would be required if backing up the system state of the server and not a D2D dump folder with no active files. It would apper that the VSS/Shadow copy process is slowing down the throughput.

As noted if I use any of the 3rd party vendors above speed is not an issue.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

With it being a ProLiant server, you might have the HP Storage Agents loaded. I do know that the DL100-series isn't strictly an HP server and can't be SmartStart'd, but check and see if the HP Storage Agents are loaded, and if so, stop and disable them.

cluke21
Level 2

yup that was done during the testing, this made no differnace to the speed either. Have also tried installing the win 2008 Hotfix for Disk IOrealted issues as well. My only concern is that when not using "Backup EXEC" and using the above 3rd party backup sw I dont get the issue. So it woud apper its an issue around the VSS/disk I/O  when using bk.