cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Restore rate when trying to restore vmdk from tape BE 2010 R3

sbishop
Level 3

Hi,

i'm trying to restore vmdk files from backup but the recovering rate will not go higher then 150mb/min. If i redirect the restore to a local drive of the backup server i'm getting 3000mb/min. i've tested network connectivity and speeds are fine.

Using W2k8 R2, BE 2010 R3 with all hotfixes available from liveupdate.

Any suggestions? thanks

8 REPLIES 8

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

If you duplicate the tape backup to disk & then restore, what is the speed ?

sbishop
Level 3

i've never duplicated to disk from tape? i'm willing to try anything, how do you do it?

Thanks

VJware
Level 6

Use this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24544

sbishop
Level 3

I duplicated the job from tape to disk. The restore rate from disk is the same less than 150mb/min.

Any more suggestions? thanks

sbishop
Level 3

I just tried redirecting it to a folder on a windows server instead of a vmware server...that worked fine.

VJware
Level 6

What transport mode is being used ? If SAN mode is being used, try using NBD

sbishop
Level 3

it is using nbd already.

i've found something weird and can't figure it out.

I was playing around with different size/types of logical drives and this is what i've got so far.

Orignally i was trying to restart the server to a logical drive of 1.7TB (1mb block) Raid 5 (144gb drives).

If i take 2 drives and mirror them, no problem. 2000mb/min, I was able to do the same with 2 X 500gb drives...i'm getting the issue on raid drives...does that make sense?

Thanks for all your help!

Lesta_G
Level 6

RAID 5 has poor write performance compared to read.

RAID1 (mirror) has no performance hit write vs read.

If you have budget array controller with minimal cache then you are likely to have the performance issues you have listed.

Having said all that 150Mb/min RAID5 vs 2000MB/min RAID1 is some performance hit!

what array controller and what cache?