cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow backup / job rate seems to be fixed

ITArtisan
Level 2
Hi,

Since I have upgraded to 12.0 all my backups will backup with a max jobe rate of 3.0MB/s. Before, when 11 was running it was 300+MB/s. The only thing that I am aware of that has changed is the upgrade from 11 to 12.

I don't see anywhere to select the rate. From what I recall, all the setting stayed the same between the upgrade. The one thing that I did get to do after the upgrade was update the driver for the tape drive. 12 did not install the correct driver.

The failing error code is different each time.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Message Edited by ITArtisan on 04-22-2008 04:44 PM
5 REPLIES 5

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
They have just posted a new Driver pack for v12.  Try grbbing the appropriate one from http://www.symantec.com/business/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047

Filter for v12 and Driver

Also, is this for Network or Local backups, or both?

ITArtisan
Level 2
Thanks, I will test it out now. The results are for both local and network. Job rate is average.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
From teh devices tab, right click the drive\Properties

What are the settings for

Block Size
Buffer Size
Number of Buffers
both pass thru settings
both single block settings

What kind of drive are you using? 

ITArtisan
Level 2
The drive is a quantum LTO3 superloader. Under drive > properties. The options are enable compression (checked), block size 64KB, buffer size 64KB, buffer count 10, hight water count 0, write single block mode (checked), write scsi pass-through mode (checked), the others not checked.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
If the device is directly connected (not using SSO) then none of the  Pass Through settings or Single Block settings should be enabled  

The pass through alters error handling, and the Single Block settings completely by-pass buffering,  That is read a data block, write a tape block, read a data block, write a tape block