cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow backup with remote agent

LTNG
Level 2
Server 1 is a HP installed with CASO version 11d. 2 dual core CPU and 4 GB of RAM. Its then connected to a HP autoloader with 2 LTO-3 tape drives using 4gb fiber.

Server 2 is a IBM server installed with remote agent. 2 dual core CPU and 4GB of RAM.

I have a dedicated 1000 mbps between these 2 servers to a CISCO 3750G. Both servers and switch ends has been hardcoded with 1000 mpbs full duplex.

When I perform a backup to tape from Server 2 to Server 1, it's running very slowly. Averaging about 30 MB / min. Task manager shows that it's only ultilizing less than 1% of the 1000 mbps bandwidth.

When I perofrm a backup to disk from Server 2 to Server 1, it's averaging 750 MB / min.

I have another managed media server that is using the same drives (connected via SSO) and it's doing backup over 2000 MB / min. Can someone please give me a hint on why it's so slow while writing to the tapes from the Server 2 remote agent.

2 REPLIES 2

Janne2
Level 2
I have similar problem. I have 15 servers. Two of them are x64 and the rest are 32-Bit. One BE-server 11d are running four tapestations similtaneously during night. Now, the problem is that when a x64-server is backed up it goes at 30MB/sec when another server is backed up at the same time. When the x64 are "alone" it goes between 1-2 GB/sec.

LTNG
Level 2
We have found out that even without remote agent, the backup is also running very slowly on the central admin server. We're asking the vendor to check out the entire configuration (SAN, Switches, HBA cards on servers, LTO library).