cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow backups with BE 2010 R3 and SAN

JamesSAU
Level 3

I have BE 2010 R3 and have slow backups from SAN (4GB fibre) connected Windows (2003, 2008 and 2008 R2) VMs using BE agents. The BE server is physical and SAN attached. The SAN is an EMC Clariion CX4-120, and the backups go to an LT04 library.

I even have really slow throughput - 300-400MB/min when backing up SAN attached local drives to the backup server. There seems to be no difference on throughput on LUNs that are RAID 1/0 or RAID 5.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to check to work out why its so slow? Previously we had BE 11d and it was much faster (3000-4000MB/min).

I'd tried updating to SP1 (all previous hotfixes were installed) but have had the same problems as others on this forum......

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi there,

Are you using the Symantec drivers for the tape drive?

In your selection list have you selected the server locally or through a Favourites/custom list?

THanks!

JamesSAU
Level 3

Yes, we're using the Symantec drivers, and the locally backed up data (from SAN connected LUNs) are selected locally.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...have you truied a reboot of the server and the library?

JamesSAU
Level 3

Yes many times...it has no effect on the speed.

When the job is backing up a large (200GB) SQL .bak file and running slowly at 300-400MB/min, I can use windows explorer to copy the same file at the same time at over 50MB/sec..... why?!