cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Snap Server & Remote Agent

Woody_Anderson
Level 3
We have a Snap Server (4100) that is serving as a file server. I have read several articles in the KB about using "User Defined Selections" to setup those shares in the Job via UNC path. We did purchase the remote agent and it is installed even though it looks like that is not necessary. I also found an article that addressed an error I was getting when setting up the Shares in User Defined Selections. The article had me uncheck/disable NT SMB on the Snap Server.

When I run a Test Run on the selected shares in UDS, it returns the error, "Check status : Error: e000846b, The job failed with the following error: The resource could not be backed up because an error occurred while connecting to the Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent. Make sure that the Remote Agent is installed on the target computer and is running."

Obviously, I can't install the agent on the Snap OS...is there something I'm missing??
Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

Jonathan_Schnee
Not applicable
Hey Woody,

I used to have this issue with my Snap 12000 and Guardian 14000's.

In your Backup job settings -> Network and Firewall:
Try enabling "use any available network route."

I don't use these NAS appliances any more (as I've migrated to a SAN) but I believe this setting fixed that error for me.

-Jonathan

Woody_Anderson
Level 3
Hi Jonathan,
That was a good suggestion, but unfortunately another Test Run produced the same error message.
-Woody

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems the error occurs during a test run. Does an actual job too fail with the same error?
What Kb articles had you referred to? Ensure that you are backing up the Snap server as per the procedure given in the following technotes:

Title: During the backup of some Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices, the message "Remote Agent is not present" appears in the Activity Monitor.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/242619

Title: How to create a user-defined selection in Backup Exec 9.x and 10.0 for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/254193

Try an actual backup and if the issue persists, revert with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Woody_Anderson
Level 3
Yes, you are correct. Even though the job fails during a test run, if you run an actual backup, the data is backed up. I wish I had read your post and saw that first KB article before I dropped $90 and called support. I dug for articles for 2 days, but didn't come across that one. Thanks.