cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some advice and examples

EdwinC
Level 3
Greetings,

We are working to setup backup exec and could use some advice and quidance. We have 2.5 tb for disk and a 10 tape library for offline storage. (tape library will double to 20 once old arcserver system is taken offline)

How to best setup for the following requirments using bakcup to disk and tape library.

Filesystems (Servers) -  monthly for full backups. Need to be available for 14 days online. Save to tape to be within 48-72 hours of backup. Offline required for 30 days.

Daily for incrmental backups.  Need to be online for 14 days, saved to tape within 48-72 hours. Offline required for 30 days

SQL - Full daily - 7 days on line - 30 days on tape - to tape within 48 hours.
Exchange - Full Daily- 7 days on line - 30 days on tape - to tape within 48 hours.
Active Directory - Full Daily- 7 days on line -30 days on tape - to tape within 48 hours.

I am looking at creating policies for each server to mange the full and incremental and duplication jobs.

Where I am not sure is how to best setup my media sets. Based on what I have seen I am looking at more then one B2D media set. One for the filesystems full backups where is will be setup to overwrite after 14 days. And only use it for the full backups.

Another B2D for the incremental backups setup to overwrite after 14 days.

Then B2D for the SQL, Exchange and Active Directly that would allow overwrites after 7 days.  (one for each)

For the tape libray to split it into full and incremental. Maybe five tapes for each until I get the second tape unit setup.

I also need to figure out how to handle tapes backups from BESR as well as they are saved to the backup server although they are in separate folder.

We need to find a balance that will keep us from filling up the hard disk.

Our initial setup while using separate policies used the defaults on the B2D and it caused it to become full. We also didn't have the tape libraries when we started so trying to get them data off to tape was not working. SO we are going to start from scratch.

Anther item we could use advice on is how to mange the IMG files. Thoughts are if we use sparate B2D filders for each og the SQL, Exchange and Active Directory saves we would not mix them with the full from the filesystem saves as those do not have image files. Not sure if I understand that part.

I am new to the software and learning as I go.

Thank any and all for your advice, help and quidance.

Regards

Edwin Collins

3 REPLIES 3

teiva-boy
Level 6

"We need to find a balance that will keep us from filling up the hard disk."

That is exactly what Deduplication is for.  Store more, using less!  

EdwinC
Level 3
Yes but initail setup was with defaults and that was to keep data indefinitly.

I know what the duplication is for. and that is not what I am asking.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

What you have proposed is workable.  For the tapes that you are using for your incrementals, you might want to use append to minimise the amount of tape used.  Just note that the OPP for that tape starts from the end of the last append job.

When you get your second library, you would need to get a LEO licence.  Out of the box, BE is licenced for 1 tape library with 1 tape drive.